Author Topic: East Coast Greenway as alternative to ACA NYC-Chicago ?  (Read 290 times)

Offline kaer23

East Coast Greenway as alternative to ACA NYC-Chicago ?
« on: December 26, 2022, 03:28:44 am »
Dear All,

I am a german cyclist and I plan to start a slightly longer tour in New York City beginning of May. My original plan was to take the Philadelphia alternate of the ACA NYC-Chicago route and start a detour in York to Washington D.C.. Now I am wondering whether it might be a good idea instead to follow the east coast greenway from New York to Washington. Are there any recommendations ? Should I better stick to the ACA route via New Jersey ? Thanks a lot for any thoughts or comments !

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
Re: East Coast Greenway as alternative to ACA NYC-Chicago ?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 07:44:23 am »
I personally would stick with ACA's route.  The reason is, I am not familiar with the EGG in that area but do know in other areas, the EGG routes onto very heavily traveled roads with no shoulders.  While the Boston to DC corridor is heavily populated with lots of traffic, ACA overall does a good job in routing for touring cyclists. 

You might consider just looking at various points along both routes using Google Maps' Streetview and determine which route is best for you.

Tailwinds, John