Author Topic: Bluetooth speaker for bicycle touring  (Read 2958 times)

Offline jwrushman

Bluetooth speaker for bicycle touring
« on: February 15, 2019, 09:33:29 pm »
I'm looking for a small, weather-proof Bluetooth speaker to use while touring.  I've had two Outdoor Tech Buckshot speakers which work "okay" but haven't held up well. The last one worked only for 1 1/2 years.  On this forum, I haven't seen any recent discussions.  A few years ago, someone had recommended the OMAKER-M4 speaker.  I'm looking for a very basic speaker.  Connect to my smart phone via Blue Tooth, charge with USB.  That's about it.  On Amazon, I see lots of speakers but most with features I don't need.  I'm not looking for another light or power source.  I don't need it to have voice-activation. But I need one with reasonable charge duration.  Riding around home, I may listen to Pandora.  When touring, I only use it for RideWithGPS navigation.  The Buckshot speaker fits my needs pretty well.  I may end up replacing it, knowing the $40 is only for another 1 1/2 year life.

Thoughts?
Wrong-way Rushman

Offline hikerjer

Re: Bluetooth speaker for bicycle touring
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 12:09:24 am »
Good question. I wondering about the same thing. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline dedgren

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:49:33 am »
I have had this small Altec Lansing Bluetooth speaker for three years during 10,000 miles of bicycle touring.  It charges quickly and for audiobook playback the speaker battery usually lasts 12 or more hours.  It pairs like a charm and is pretty durable.

https://www.target.com/p/altec-mini-h2o-bluetooth-waterproof-speaker-gray/-/A-17150609?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Electronics%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Electronics&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=t&location=9033936&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xmxMTno_o3s8MtkIRFZQ6oB6Nun70uT6M8V8cjOHl4xyr8y9O5B6axoCIo0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline skerinks

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:34:23 pm »
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B012WDS72K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's one I just purchased last month. Haven't been out riding much with it, just one 2hr ride. It is plenty loud on the bike, nothing there to worry about. Waterproof, so fits that bill. it has a horn function, which I like so I don't have to have another accessory. There are multiple mounting options, so that's nice. It comes with a wired remote control to mount on the handlebar, if you decide to mount the speaker somewhere out of normal hand reach, which is cool. As for battery longevity, I ran it as my BT speaker at work one day, and it lasted the whole 9hr day - didn't die on me, as I shut if off before it died. The only thing I can't comment on is the longevity of the device itself. For $45, I expect it to last a couple years - we'll see.

Chad

Offline brianmcgloin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 12:53:02 am »
I'm on my second Buckshot 2.0 speaker. I drowned the first one riding in the rain in Forest Park here in Portland (it also rattled, so I think it was a dud from the start). The current one is holding up much better.
I use it for music and Ride with GPS (or Google Maps, depending) directions. There are better-sounding speakers out there but either they're giant or have less-than-ideal battery capacity. Buckshot's 20-ish hours of battery is sort of unusual, perhaps.

Semper victor!

Jía yóu!

Offline jwrushman

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 06:40:01 am »
Thanks for everyone's input!   Time to make a decision and go for it.  Six weeks to start!

John R