Author Topic: Advice on mapping plan  (Read 328 times)

Offline Twitch

Advice on mapping plan
« on: May 06, 2019, 08:46:47 am »
In a couple of weeks the family is going to take the Chicago to New York route. I have a couple of questions regarding maps / directions:
1) am planning on using the ACA app and then buying the sections we need.  I believe this gives me the route to follow - does it also give turn by turn directions?
2) also planning on buying the hard copy maps - I assume this makes sense?
3) any tips, tricks, risks or downside to using the app instead of a digital device? 

100% new to this so I appreciate any advice you all may have.

Thanks

Offline John Nettles

Re: Advice on mapping plan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:56:02 am »
I personally would use both.  The app, provides a line on your phone/GPS that shows where the route (technically a track) is, regardless of where you are.  You get on top of the line and then ride the preferred direction always keeping an eye on your phone to ensure you are still "on top" of the route.  So it doesn't give you VERBAL turn by turn but it is easy to understand, i.e. the pink line turns right at the next intersection so you turn right.  If you overshoot an intersection, just zoom out on the app until you see the pink line and then either back track or look for a road to reconnect to it.

The paper map is just that, a map.  However, you do not have to worry about the batteries dying, a glitch making it inoperable, etc.  The map does have turn, by, turn instructions, miles between turns, etc. but you must keep track of the distances or you may miss a turn.

Both have have their plus and minuses but if this is your first time using either, I would use both until you find which one you prefer.

Also, unless you are riding together at all times, always ride with a buddy if possible and each team should have their own map.  Officially, and morally, each person should have their own map, i.e. don't copy the maps and/or data but in reality, most do it by teams.

Tailwinds, John

Offline Twitch

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 09:02:22 am »
John - as always very helpful information and much appreciated. The boys are 11 and 13 so we’ll be together at all times.  With confirmation i’ll Buy both the app data and the hard maps.

Thanks.

Offline jwrushman

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:09:42 am »
Been there.  Have done that.

I've lost a section of my ACA maps while touring and had to rely on just my phone.  Not too bad.  And I've had my phone die while on tour.  More of a pain.

I heartily agree with John Nettles that you have both.  Only thing I do differently is that I use RideWithGPS for turn-by-turn navigation.  This requires me to manually enter the ACA route info into RideWithGPS, but I think it gives me a better understanding of the route and allows me to wander off to areas that seem intriguing.

Wrong-way Rushman

Offline Twitch

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 12:55:25 pm »
Rush man - good perspective on the ability to wander. Thanks.