Author Topic: Southern Tier East to West in late Winter  (Read 1093 times)

Offline mootefam

Southern Tier East to West in late Winter
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:49:59 am »
My husband and I are thinking of doing the Southern Tier route starting in Florida and going all the way to San Diego (and maybe turning right and heading up the coast when we get there).  We want to leave mid February--so my question is--how are the winds travelling east to west at that time of year?  Thanks

Offline nthabiseng

Re: Southern Tier East to West in late Winter
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:33:01 am »
Hi,
We rode west to east leaving San Diego in early February. We thought our winds were favorable, but in meeting cyclists traveling east to west, they thought the same! In reality, I do think the odds are pretty even in either direction. You just have to get lucky to have more in your favor.

Do know though that on the west coast the winds tend to be northerly, depending on how far up you tend to go. Winds are the reason most folks ride north to south.

Good luck, you’ll love it!

Offline jamawani

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 01:08:07 pm »
I thought late winter east to west would be ideal.
Temperatures were pretty good,
But Late Feb/March is prime tornado season in the Southeast.
I had big storms and tornado warnings every other day.
Had to stay in motels way more than I intended.
YMMV

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 06:59:28 am »
I rode W-E starting in mid Feb.  Winds seemed pretty neutral.  Weather was good, with very little rain and no real storms.  It showered a couple times, but there was only one day of really hard rain  It was usually cool during the day and chilly at night.  There was frost quite a few nights and one very cold night when I camped on top of a pass.  Overall much better than hot weather IMO.

I did see some snow on the top of some passes (roads were clear), but it was never a problem.

My best guess is that the winds on the west coast would be settled into a pattern that would be unfavorable for heading north by then, but maybe not.  I am no expert on when the summer pattern settles in.