Author Topic: What shoes?  (Read 684 times)

Offline geotrouvetout67

What shoes?
« on: November 14, 2019, 11:07:00 am »
What clipless (SPD) shoes are you riding on weeks long adventures (like the GDMTR)?
Did they work? Not? Too hot, too cold?

Offline Tandem Tom

Re: What shoes?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 04:48:05 pm »
My wife and I have been wearing Shimano cycling sandals for a number of tours. I wear them in the winter with 2 pairs of socks. We like the fact that if we ride in the rain they dry out quite fast.

Offline driftlessregion

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 04:53:37 pm »
Lake or Sidi because they both make wide sizes.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 06:10:10 am »
I love Sidi MTB shoes.  The Mega models fit me well.  I have worn the cheaper models and liked them okay, but am currently using Dominators.  They drain well and dry fast.  I am fine at all temperatures from very hot down to quite cold if I choose socks that dry fast and are okay when damp/wet.

I have never toured with them but if it is brutally cold I have used shoe covers around home for sub zero weather.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 01:27:13 pm »
I like Sidi Dominators.  But it depends on your trip and your load.  I wore out the sole of one pair walking up the steep hills of Virginia and Kentucky on the TransAm.  That was painful to the wallet.

Offline Iowagriz

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 02:39:50 pm »
Great Divide will likely involve more walking than a typical road tour.  MTB shoes can also double as reasonable camp shoes (depending on how much time you plan to spend off the bike).  I've ridden parts of the GDMBR in Montana a few times for a week at a time.  In the past, I've used my normal MTB/Racing shoes.  While broken in and comfortable during my daily riding, they were too tight after multiple days of 12-16hrs at a time in them.  I've recently bought a pail of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Canyon. Also went up a full size to ensure I have extra room for my feet to swell.  I have yet to ride multiple days in them, but they are a popular model for the route and so far, they are good.

Enjoy the ride, it is a great trip.

Offline canalligators

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 12:07:17 pm »
I prefer to ride in a walkable shoe for ANY tour, so I don't have to carry extra footwear.

I am also biased towards durable equipment.  My experiences are limited, but it seems that Shimano brand pedals are generally tough and long-lasting.  The seals are excellent and the bearings are the best design for the job (roller bearings) and very good quality.  I have 30K+ miles on one pair, 20K+ on another, still going strong.  Just hit them with spray oil once a year and change your shoes' cleats on occasion.  Contrast: the Eggbeaters that I tried failed in a few thousand miles.  The SPD knockoffs a friend bought, same story.

I'm sure that other manufacturers make durable pedals, but I will stick with the ones I know, unless I learn that their quality has slipped.

Offline ray b

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 12:06:11 pm »
What clipless (SPD) shoes are you riding on weeks long adventures (like the GDMTR)?Did they work? Not? Too hot, too cold?
Wide temperature range - Stiff, cycling sandals with sock options range to include short wool with waterproof oversocks such as Seal Skinz. I've used the extreme set-up in the summer snows on the GDR without problem or discomfort.
In addition, I always have a pair of Keen or equivalent camp sandals with which I could hike several miles, if necessary.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 12:14:48 pm by ray b »
“A good man always knows his limitations.”

Offline geotrouvetout67

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 02:30:57 pm »
I prefer to ride in a walkable shoe for ANY tour, so I don't have to carry extra footwear.

I am also biased towards durable equipment.  My experiences are limited, but it seems that Shimano brand pedals are generally tough and long-lasting.  The seals are excellent and the bearings are the best design for the job (roller bearings) and very good quality.  I have 30K+ miles on one pair, 20K+ on another, still going strong.  Just hit them with spray oil once a year and change your shoes' cleats on occasion.  Contrast: the Eggbeaters that I tried failed in a few thousand miles.  The SPD knockoffs a friend bought, same story.

I'm sure that other manufacturers make durable pedals, but I will stick with the ones I know, unless I learn that their quality has slipped.

I have been using Shimano XT pedals for 30 years, both flats and SPD, now also have the combo with flat and one side SPD, they never failed me, never even opened them up to grease the bearings on any of them.

Offline RonK

What shoes?
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 07:15:09 pm »
I only take one pair of shoes when I tour, so they have to presentable and practical whether I'm catching a flight or train, dining out, taking in the city sights, hiking a side trip, and of course for riding.
So I prefer conventionally looking shoes - with no garish colours, and with lace up fastenings, or at least only laces visible under long pants.
I've been using Northwave all mountain shoes for over 10 years, currently the Escape. They are stiff enough to transfer power to the pedals but not too stiff for walking, and have quite high internal volume which suits my big flat feet. They also have grippy soles for traction off the bike.
Looking at the current lineup I'd opt for the Tribe.

Edit just realised the Tribe is for flat pedals so I'd probably stick with Escape.

https://www.northwave.com/ch-CH-en/Sell_All-Mountain_8F7.aspx
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 08:50:19 pm by RonK »
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...