Author Topic: Mechanical or hydro?  (Read 155 times)

Offline geotrouvetout67

Mechanical or hydro?
« on: January 20, 2020, 02:07:51 pm »
This is probably a 50/50 split in opinions.

I'm looking at upgrade options for my Salsa Cutthroat v1 with ultra endurance bikepacking in the back of my mind, it is currently setup with Apex 1x11 / 11-42 cassette and TRP Spyre mechanical brakes. I'm not a fan of the SRAM shifters but they do the job. I want larger gearing and I am mostly debating if I should go hydraulic or not.

Option 1. (cheapest, about $80-90) Keep the Apex 1 shifters and rear derailleur as well as the TRP Spyre brakes, replace the 11-42 cassette with Sunrace 1x11 11-46 or 11-50 at likely the expense of crisp shifting and a little more weight.

Option 2. (about $500 at full price + need a new Microspline driver) Replace shifters with Gevenalle 12 speed mechanical (when available for Shimano), Shimano XT 12-speed RD with 10-51 XT cassette and XTR chain. Keep the TRP's.

Option 3. (most expensive about $780 at full price + need new Microspline driver), Replace shifters with Gevenalle 1x12 hydraulic kit that comes with the TRP Hylex RS brakes, XT 12-speed RD, XTR chain and 10-51 cassette.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:10:56 pm by geotrouvetout67 »

Offline gottobike

Re: Mechanical or hydro?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:45:28 pm »
For what it’s worth, here’s my two cents...
Does your current derailleur fit 46 or 50 tooth on the rear? If not, may need one of Wolf Tooth Link options.
Seems Option 3 would be for sponsored riders, riders looking to move up a classification, or you just need some plushness/bling. I love the smoothness of hydros, esoecially on fast, loose descents. However, I don’t see hydraulics being very repairable when you are bike packing unless you plan on lugging around a complete set of tools and hydro fluid or you have race support.
Not sure I would want to go to the expense of Option 2 with 12 speed unless the terrain or fitness level absolutely required the new high/low. The higher 10- gear may be useful on fast gravel road descents but typically not single track. Keep in mind, 1 tooth on the front is approx equal to 2 in the rear, so you really aren’t gaining much.
The cheapest option offered in Option 1 is the most dependable/proven solution and prolly more useable for self supported bike packing.