Author Topic: TransAm: dep late March – route advise needed  (Read 240 times)

Offline Pieta_43

TransAm: dep late March – route advise needed
« on: January 11, 2020, 02:36:52 pm »
Dear cycling folks,

with an unexpected opportunity window opening I´m trying my luck to make a  dream come alive and ride from coast to coast. As so often with unexpected events timing is not perfectly fine, therefore I would kindly ask you for your advice which route through the US to take.

Initial plan waiting in the box was the legendary ACA TransAm route but due to my time window this won´t work out. Now I´ve come up with two other options but I´m not quite sure which one to ride.

Background: aged 30 with sportive background (incl. triathlon), did the ACA Pacific Coast route in 2018 in 30 days. Set-Up is a light weight cycle cross bike (alu frame) or an adjusted road bike with carbon frame.

Timeframe: Last week of March till first week of May (5 weeks)

Route Option 01: ACA Southern Tier; west to east

Route Option 02: LA to Yorktown (via Vegas, Zion NP, Rockie crossing at Chama NM (10,500ft) and Palo Flechado Pass trough Oklahoma into Arkansas, Tennessee finishing on the ACA TransAm at Yorktown; west to east

May I kindly ask for your device – which option should I take, or if you have a third option welcome – am happy for any feedback!

Thanks a lot,
Pieta

Offline jamawani

Re: TransAm: dep late March – route advise needed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 04:42:19 pm »
You can't have my device, but I'll offer my advice.

April can still be mid-winter in the Rockies.
Late April & early May is peak storm season in the Great Plains and Southeast.

Since the weather may be tricky and you time is limited, the shorter the route the better.
The Pacific Coast Route is 1800+ miles. The Souther Tier is 3000+ miles.
Using "Old Math" 1800/30 = 60 miles per day. 60 x 35 (5 weeks) = 2100 miles.
Even 80 miles per day x 35 = 2800.

80 miles a day is possible - esp. with limited weight - but you have zero leeway.
And you would need to shorten the Southern Tier by 200 miles.
Or up your daily mileage to 87.
Numbers suggest Option 2 is a no go.

Did I mention rain?
Most of Louisiana, Mississippi & Alabama get 4-6 inches in April.
You will notice a big change in east Texas. Expect downpours.

Because services are better and it is already mapped -
I suggest the Southern Tier rather than venturing out on your own.
Taking th old  ST route on busy US 60 east of Phoenix will save a chunk of miles.

Best of luck - it will be tight.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:57:48 pm »
I agree with jamawani. Take the Southern Tier and look for shortcuts.

Offline Pieta_43

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:12:44 am »
THANKS A LOT for your quick feedback and advise - making my decision easy!

Coming from business I don´t care about maths  ;D - no serios concerning timing I do not have a problem to use a rental if necessary, its about the ride not the finish. Can´t wait to hit the road again.

Ride safe and thanks for your advices,
Pieta

Offline TCS

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 10:55:57 am »
...or if you have a third option welcome – am happy for any feedback!

Parameters:
Coast to coast, North America.
5 weeks.
Late March to early May.

Okay.

Third option:  a cross country short route developed just for such a trip envelope.

A southern USA crossing beginning on Ocean Beach Pier and ending on Bob Hall Pier:  Coast to coast, ocean to ocean, saltwater to saltwater.

San Diego, CA to Kerrville, TX (Aventure Cycling's Southern Tier) - 1610 miles, then Kerrville, TX to Corpus Christi, TX - 323 miles.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29360687

1933 miles total.
5 weeks (35 days), 55 miles/day average.
"My name is Pither.  I am at present on a cycling tour of the North Cornwall area taking in Bude and..."

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:09:35 am »
Good out-of-the-box thinking TCS.

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:53:25 am »
TCS has a very reasonable suggestion.

Now for an "out of the box?  what's a box?" suggestion:

Start east going west (for warmer temperatures at lower elevations).  You might even want to start a little further east, in New Orleans, and make a run up the Mississippi before turning west.

When you get to Tempe, ask yourself if you really want to ride another 400 miles through southwestern deserts.  If not, try something different: take the Grand Canyon Connector up to St. George, UT.  You can either make flight connections out of there, or catch a shuttle to Las Vegas from there.  The elevations may be a bit sketchy weather-wise, but you'll have a chance to see canyons and rock formations unlike anything you've seen on the Pacific coast or riding the Southern Tier.

If you do that and you're still hung up on a coast to coast ride, take a week sometime later, preferably near a holiday, to ride the last week from San Diego to Tempe.

Offline Pieta_43

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 01:19:15 pm »
Dear all,

many thanks for your valuable inputs and hints!

Based on your feedback I’m now considering starting in San Diego and finishing in New Orleans spicing up the route with the Texas Hill Country Loop which should fit perfectly in terms of timing and weather;

once again thanks for your quick and helpful feedbacks,
pieta