Author Topic: Indiana South to North  (Read 485 times)

Offline hawk445

Indiana South to North
« on: January 15, 2020, 11:47:02 am »
I plan to ride the length of Indiana this Summer, from the Ohio River in Evansville to Lake Michigan in Michigan City. Adventure has no recommended route, and I would like to ride county roads as much as possible, staying off major highways.  Has anyone done this and could share their experience?  Yes it's a boring State but it's my back yard.

Offline CMajernik

Re: Indiana South to North
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:51:21 pm »
I googled Indiana bike routes and found this page on their USBR routes:

https://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4452.htm
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes

Offline hawk445

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 04:44:05 pm »
Thank you, I am aware of that route.  E'ville is quite a bit further West from Jeffersonville/Louisville, and I was hoping to ride a route more or less in line with the US41 corridor, then work my way a little East through Lafayette, and then line up with US421.  I just may blaze a trail with Google maps and see what happens.  Spacing out the campgrounds is a factor too.

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 10:15:28 am »
Try looking up the Indiana County road maps produced by the state.  Also, the traffic count maps (AADT maps).  Between the two of them, you should be able to come up with something that works.

Tailwinds, John

P.S. Don't be afraid of a little bit of gravel if needed.

Offline hawk445

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 01:53:20 pm »
Thanks John, working on that.  IN makes it a bit difficult to compile the county road road maps, but I have the time!

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 03:16:50 pm »
Try this for the traffic counts: https://indot.ms2soft.com/tcds/tsearch.asp?loc=Indot&mod=  .  You can zoom in and the less traveled roads "should" be OK to ride.  Try to confirm if roads with less than 250 AADT are paved by using Google Maps' streetview and/or satellite view.

I understand about the county map portion.  I personally REALLY wish every state had them AND that the data was standardized, i.e. all show paved roads as the same symbol.

Tailwinds, John

Offline hawk445

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 04:26:23 pm »
Thanks again, John, that tool is pretty slick.