Author Topic: from italy for coast to coast  (Read 1170 times)

Offline microsonno

from italy for coast to coast
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:34:26 am »
Hello to everyone and sorry for my english
I'm writing from italy because I'm planning a coast to coast trip on next spring from New Jersey to San Francisco
I'm still not sure to realize my old dream cause job, family, health, money...  I will be sure only in some weeks, but I've a lot of things to ask, and I abosolutely must begin to have some news and answers from U.S.
m nex days I will ask about my track, road rules, bicycle shops and many others subjects.
I hope you can understand me, thank you   

Offline John Nettles

Re: from italy for coast to coast
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:43:03 am »
Welcome!

I would review the ACA website and look at the routes they offer.  Be sure to look at the "Logistics" tab of each route which is usually located under the picture on the page of the route you are looking at as it gives the best times to ride the route. 

After you pick your route, buy the maps.  The maps are cycle touring specific.  They list the bike shops, campgrounds, some restaurants, etc. Excellent maps but only in English.

Tailwinds, John

Offline microsonno

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 09:56:08 am »
Thank you John, I'm checking Aca Website. I think my route will be similar to the suggested route in the  final part (from Utah to San Francisco), not in the beginning

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:05:29 am »
I don't know why you chose the route you did--perhaps you have important reasons--but if you have route flexibility, I might suggest you simply follow the ACA TransAm route instead. It will greatly, greatly simplify your planning and improve your chances of having a great trip.

Offline microsonno

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:12 pm »
Hello to everyone, thank you for your replies, on next days I'll check again my route, but in the central part I'd like to cycle to Idaho Springs Co, to try Mount Evans climb.
I'll be in Us once in my life and i want to try.  8) 8)Follow that dream...
In the while can you tell me something about the best and cheapest way to go from Jfk Airport Or from Newark Airport to New Jersey? Always carrying a big bicycle box?
I know Newark-New Jersey is much more easy, but I have not still buy the ticket and may be I will have to land in Jfk

Offline jwrushman

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 05:45:01 pm »
Where in NJ are you planning to start your ride?  I think that JFK and Newark are equally horrible for starting a ride.  If you're planning to start at some place at the shore like Sandy Hook, Newark is closer.  I hope you're not planning to actually start at the airport.  I don't think there's any way that you could safely bicycle out of Newark Airport.

Offline microsonno

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 09:32:06 am »
Hi, I'll start from the boardwalk in Asbury Park Nj. that's sure. May be someone of you can guess the reason ;) ;)

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 08:28:39 pm »
Not my neck of the woods, so take this with a grain of salt.

From JFK, can you catch a shuttle bus to Newark?

Can you pick a hotel halfway from Newark to the boardwalk that offers a (free) shuttle from Newark?

Offline microsonno

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 10:22:15 am »
Thank you, I'll check for the shuttle and for the halfway hotel

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 03:37:09 pm »
Hi, I'll start from the boardwalk in Asbury Park Nj. that's sure. May be someone of you can guess the reason ;) ;)
There are trains from Penn Station in New York and Penn Station in Newark to Asbury Park:

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf

Unboxed bikes are only allowed on weekends and not on all trains. See the bike symbol above each departure.

Ground transportation from JFK:

https://www.airport-jfk.com/transportation.php

Newark will be easier. There is a monorail from the airport terminal to the train station. However, you may get grief with a boxed bike. You definitely don't want to ride out of Newark Airport. Trust me.

Offline microsonno

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 06:41:38 am »
Thank you very much for your link, Bikelicious, but i'm not sure to have understood the second part of your post.  :o :oIt will be better for me to take trains to Asbury Park with the bike still in the box, I think. Or not? :-\ :-\

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 07:43:24 am »
It will be better for me to take trains to Asbury Park with the bike still in the box, I think. Or not? :-\ :-\
A bike box can be large. In theory, a train conductor could not allow it for space/safety reasons, especially during a busy weekday.

And have you ever had to tote a boxed bike around an airport, train station and/or bus terminal? I have. Even if the box has wheels (which I suspect yours will not), it's a pain if you have other luggage.

Offline microsonno

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 09:00:23 am »
Now I think to understand, I have to assemble the bicycle in the airport, then I can easily take a train (without cycling in the airport surroundings) to asbury Park.
an other chance is to take a shuttle-car from the airport to Asbury Park, I found 150/200 dollars fares, but may be I can found something cheaper

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 10:23:41 am »
As I read the schedule, you can only take your unboxed bike on that particular line on the weekends. If you want a ride you are going to have to arrange for one large enough to accommodate a bike, whether boxed or not.

Not sure why your focus is on Asbury Park. If it's a Bruce Springsteen thing, note that it's not his home town. He grew up in Freehold. Expect a lot of traffic heading west from that area. Then you will have to cross the Delaware River. Only so many places you can do that with a bike. Trenton, NJ seems the most obvious.

Or you could stay on the NJ side of the river and head north. There is a nice bike trail from Trenton to Frenchtown. Lambertville to Frenchtown and beyond is on ACA's Atlantic Coast Route. You could take that to ACA's Chicago to New York City route to get you west.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 10:28:57 am by BikeliciousBabe »

Offline microsonno

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:19 am »
Wonderful, you're really precious. About route I think to try Asbury Park, Freehold, Trenton and then Aca Route to west, as you wrote.

About airport i'll wait for the ticket, the final destination (jfk or newark) and the landing time.

About bikepacking is a very stressing issue. I'm also thinking about buying a bicycle in New Jersey (with my pedals and bags) and then to sell it in San Francisco. No problems about airfares, breakages, loss, delays, etc... But I realize to begin a coast to coast with a new bike can be an hazard, I'd need a couple of days to arrange it