Author Topic: eTrex 30x issues  (Read 633 times)

Offline paleolith

eTrex 30x issues
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:25:59 am »
I recently bought an eTrex 30x to replace my old HCx, which had failed. I'm still trying to get behavior I liked on the HCx to appear on the 30x.

It doesn't help that since my HCx totally failed, I can't examine it to figure out how I did stuff.

I use the GPSr mostly for bicycling at the moment -- also for geocaching but my issues relate to bicycling. Aging eyes and the placement of the device about 3' from my eyes (recumbent cycle) make it hard to see.

#1) On the HCx, I had a screen set up with three large-number fields: distance, speed, and time of day. The first two are fine on the 30x. On the HCx, I had time of day set up as HH:MM and it displayed as large as the other numbers. On the 30x, I have not been able to find a HH:MM option, only hh:mm:ss, and it displays small even on the large-numbers format. Is there a way to get a large time of day display? As it stands, I can't read the time of day without stopping and getting closer to the screen.

#2) I get an enormous amount of what I'll call "scatter" in tracks. (I would call it jitter except that Garmin uses that term for something else.) When I'm stopped, the track "moves" about every 25-45 seconds (roughly). Sometimes 15', sometimes 1', sometimes even 0'. I end up spending a lot of time in Basecamp to delete these clusters of scatter, and it's enough that I can build up significant mileage if I'm stopped for an hour. I thought I remembered a sensitivity setting for this on HCx, but I don't remember where and can't find any such thing on the 30x. The HCx did this a little, but at least an order of magnitude less. How can I deal with this?

(I had a question about track memory, but I figured that out from reading other threads. Auto-archive daily and there's so much memory that I'll never run out.)

Thanks for any and all help,

Edward

Offline John Nettles

Re: eTrex 30x issues
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 10:26:14 am »
Since I don't have the HCx, I can't help with issue #1 but I think it is covered in the poorly written owners manual.  I personally would just call Garmin Support and they will walk you through it.

For issue #2, you will not be able to "cure" that.  It just shows how highly accurate your GPS is.  What is happening is that the signal from your device to the satellite up in the sky have microseconds delay.  Due to this delay and that the satellite is traveling very fast, there will be micro errors.  By micro, consider the percent difference 15' compared to the distance in feet from your device to the satellite.  I call this "GPS Creep" as it will also add miles to your odometer and if you turn off the device, you ruin your overall riding overage.

The only suggestion I can think of to help #2 is to put the accuracy on a different mode.  That might reduce the frequency of the updates or the amount of movement but I am just guessing.

Tailwinds, John

Offline paleolith

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 06:21:34 pm »
Since I don't have the HCx, I can't help with issue #1 but I think it is covered in the poorly written owners manual.  I personally would just call Garmin Support and they will walk you through it.

Thanks for the suggestion to call Garmin. I hadn't seriously considered that they might be helpful, since the manual is so unhelpful.  :o

For issue #2, you will not be able to "cure" that.  It just shows how highly accurate your GPS is.

I understand the issue. But the HCx does address the issue, showing that it is possible. It does something like just not recording a point when the distance is too small, or the speed is too low. I don't know the algorithm, and it's not perfect, but it works quite well.

The only suggestion I can think of to help #2 is to put the accuracy on a different mode.  That might reduce the frequency of the updates or the amount of movement but I am just guessing.

Could you elaborate on "accuracy ... mode"? It sounds relevant but I haven't encountered any such thing in browsing the screens, and it's not in the manual (big shock).

Edward

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 06:39:13 pm »
I looked online a little for the answer.

After looking on page 6 of the manual (online), you have the option to use the GPS system, GLONASS system (Russia's version), or both.  I am guessing if you use both, you will get more pings so the track will dance around more.

Also, on page 8 it talks about WAAS/ENOS but doesn't clarify what that is.  They increase the accuracy of the location which again may cause it to dance around more as it tries to be more accurate.  This is what I was thinking about.

Again, I would just call Garmin. They are "usually" helpful.

Tailwinds, John

Offline paleolith

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:41:44 pm »
After looking on page 6 of the manual (online), you have the option to use the GPS system, GLONASS system (Russia's version), or both.  I am guessing if you use both, you will get more pings so the track will dance around more.

Also, on page 8 it talks about WAAS/ENOS but doesn't clarify what that is.  They increase the accuracy of the location which again may cause it to dance around more as it tries to be more accurate.  This is what I was thinking about.

Thanks ... that may be the answer. I remember the HCx had some such settings, so it's possible I had adjusted those. Unfortunately the 30x does not enable any options. (Those manuals are for several models and they don't make it clear what applies to which.)

Again, I would just call Garmin. They are "usually" helpful.

Finally did. Not helpful this time.  :'(  The CSR basically verified the Big Numbers issue (no HH:MM option) and made the excuse "but we are giving you more information". Then told me to try updating the software since mine is 3.0 and "our latest version is 4.90". Yeah, but after going to the trouble, I found out that for the 30x, 3.00 is the latest.

Wish there were more choices. I read a comment somewhere else about Garmin producing hundred of models that *could* be great, and none that are. I suppose I need to look at the other lines again.

Edward

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 12:48:39 pm »
I have noticed that if I call back, and don't get the same person, sometimes I get a different (and frequently better) answer.  You might try that.  I know it sounds weird but I have had this happen several times.

Tailwinds, John

Offline paleolith

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 03:04:22 pm »
Not weird, I've had that experience other places. Might try it but I don't think there's going to be a solution for the Big Numbers HH:MM issue, so I might stop fighting the other one and spend my time looking for a different GPSr.

Edward