Author Topic: Print List of Services for Transamerica  (Read 725 times)

Offline seven07tibike

Print List of Services for Transamerica
« on: February 15, 2020, 07:40:45 am »
I purchased the digital maps and wonder if I can print the list of services, specifically hotels and motels.  I plan on credit card touring the route as much as possible. 

Offline John Nettles

Re: Print List of Services for Transamerica
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 07:50:16 am »
Not that I know of.  Additionally, while the lodging services on the maps are nice as a point of reference, Google, Kayak, Expedia, etc. offer way more choices and with accurate prices.  However, ACA's are good at pointing out cyclists only type lodging but you probably need to carry the bare minimum of camping gear for that as they are typically places that allow you to sleep inside, i.e. a church, or are not on a map, i.e. a city-owned park you can camp in.

Personally, if I were credit card touring (which I have done), I would just use the various online booking agencies listed above especially since you may need to go "off route" in places to get accommodations, i.e. in Wyoming where you could ride from Rawlins toward Rock Springs then north toward Jackson.

Tailwinds, John

Offline seven07tibike

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 08:21:14 am »
Thank you John for your quick response. 
In 2019 I cycled both the southern route, San Diego to Saint Augustine and then the Atlantic coast, Canada to Key West.  I bought the AC maps and digital data and there are great stretches in this country without motels and hotels.  It took a lot of work to puzzle out my routes so that I could stay in hotels/motels.
I just bought the digital Transam route and thought that if I could print out a sequential list of services I could quickly look at a paper map and figure out my custom route(s). 
The AC routes are designed for camping first, and I'm not :-) 
Michael

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 08:25:43 am »
The AC routes are designed for camping first, and I'm not :-) 
The older I get, the easier it is to justify an excuse to stay in a hotel instead of camping that night.  :D

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Tailwinds, John

Offline jsieber

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 01:39:46 pm »
If you prucashed the .GPX data files you could open the services files in a text editor manually copy service data that you want into a another file that you would print. You could find and replace to remove tags and other non-needed information form the file.

Offline seven07tibike

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 03:33:03 pm »
I appreciate your input. 

I'm now playing with google maps.  I imported the section data along with the services data to a map I created.  I then switch to "My Maps" which lists all the services data and shows all services as red markers on the route.  The data is listed alphabetically.  I changed the color of all the data markers for the hotels, motels, B&B's, etc. from red to white so they stand out of the route.

Now I can see where the overnight stays are along the route.  I'll continue to work with it......

I will try to download the list as you described.

Thank you,
Michael