Author Topic: GDMBR--Basin to Butte  (Read 205 times)

Offline BikeliciousBabe

GDMBR--Basin to Butte
« on: March 16, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
I have an old version of the map for the above-mentioned section that uses "roads" closely paralleling I-15 and then I-15 itself. Some of that mileage doesn't even appear on Google Maps unless you switch to satellite view. (Assuming Tunnel No. 9 is al old railroad tunnel.)

Looking at ACA's on-line map, it appears that the route has changed to use roads further west of the route shown on my old map. Looks like it uses the same roads I am hoping to ride this June during a two-week, part paved, part dirt loop from/to Missoula.  Plan is to visit Three Forks then head to the Merry Widow  via Boulder then to Butte.  Bike would be an LHT with 37c tires that has tackled some fairly rough, unpaved roads in its day.

Anyone have experience with the old and/or new routes between those points? Particularly interested in road surface conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Jeebs

Re: GDMBR--Basin to Butte
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 12:02:47 pm »
Both I-15 Frontage and Lowland Creek are comfortable dirt roads. The frontage road is a little rockier but plenty passable, and the tunnel is a nice touch. Lowland Road is smooth FS road. I ride both routes as a loop from Elk Park on an old Bianchi Volpe with 37s, so you should tackle it just fine.

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 12:42:12 pm »
Both I-15 Frontage and Lowland Creek are comfortable dirt roads. The frontage road is a little rockier but plenty passable, and the tunnel is a nice touch. Lowland Road is smooth FS road. I ride both routes as a loop from Elk Park on an old Bianchi Volpe with 37s, so you should tackle it just fine.

Thanks. It's not possible to map all of the old route on RWGPS. Can you give me an idea of what the terrain is like?

Here is what I came up with before I saw the route change (I plan to order the ACA map anyway):

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32004623?beta=false

Between mile 24 and 25 there is a very steep section with a ruling grade of over 17%. Wondering if that's just bad data.

Offline Jeebs

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:11:12 pm »
I don't recall that downhill section being too bad... it's well traveled FS road. The frontage road is mostly a gradual climb along Bison Creek following the abandoned rail bed. There is one climb and descent right out of Bernice, but otherwise a nice climb up to Elk Park. 

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
Thanks again.