Author Topic: gravel near West Glacier  (Read 444 times)

Offline driftlessregion

gravel near West Glacier
« on: March 17, 2020, 01:57:57 pm »
The ACA Northern Tier section 2 map 23 shows 2.9 miles of gravel on Blankenship Rd just before the route rejoins US 2. Does anyone know if it is still gravel? My map is from my 2004 ride.

Offline John Nettles

Re: gravel near West Glacier
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 02:00:11 pm »
When I rode it about 2 years or so ago, it was paved but rough in places.  If there was gravel, it was so minor that I have forgotten about it.  It was ridden on a regular road touring bike.

Offline driftlessregion

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:04:26 pm »
Thanks. Good to know

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:01:04 am »
Yes. Over the years they have been making road improvements. The unpaved section east of the bridge is pretty benign. Mostly hard packed dirt. Back in 2009 it was gravel and longer. Last time I was there (2017) I was surprised how much it had changed. After you cross the bridge you can get down to the river by making a right It's a nice place to stop for lunch.

Another nice change is that there is now a sign for Lake 5 Rd. When I first rode back there in '99 the ACA map cue was something like "right at telephone junction box 34567." I was riding sweep for the group that day and had one group member with me. We missed the turn, but a local up the road told us that if we kept straight it would dump us onto U.S. 2 further east of Lake 5 Rd. He also warned us that the stretch was a main bear route. If you want more unpaved riding just continue straight instead of making the right onto Lake 5 Rd.