Author Topic: Bike Touring/Camping  (Read 608 times)

Offline ste

Bike Touring/Camping
« on: August 23, 2020, 08:59:20 pm »
Does anyone have information regarding a bike touring loop starting in Jackson, WY, up to and around Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park? Are there campsites or access on gravel roads for a cyclists to camp? Any advise or information will be appreciated.
Thank you, Stephen Peart (Bozeman, MT.)

Offline BikeliciousBabe

Re: Bike Touring/Camping
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 08:39:56 am »
Doesn't look to be any road around the west side of the lake, and bikes are not allowed on hiking trails:

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/bike.htm

As for campgrounds, the subject is discussed on the NPS website.

Offline ste

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 12:15:26 pm »
BikeliciousBabe, Thank you for your reply, and I will go to the NPS websites for more information. This will be my first bike tour in 40 years, I have all new equipment and I'm looking to have an experience that is inspiring. I'm thinking of a beautiful area with many campsite options since I'm not really sure what my daily mileage would be. I will be self contained and riding a TrekSl5 gravel road bike, so even gravel access to a stream/water campsite would be perfect. If you have any other suggestions I will greatly appreciate your advise.
Be well, Stephen Peart

Offline hikerjer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 02:35:01 pm »
Nearly every national park, including Grand Teton and Yellowstone, have designated hiker/biker sites for a fraction of the regular cost. No reservations are necessary and I've never been turned away.

There is a good gravel road (Reclamation/Grassy Lake Road) that starts at the Flagg Ranch just north of Grand Teton Park. Its between GRandTEton adn Yellwostone and heads west toward Ashton, ID. From there you could head south through the Teton Valley to Driggs and Victor, ID and then across Teton Pass back to Jackson. The Grassy Lake road is good gravel with very little traffic, several camp grounds.  It's prime grizzly bear habitat so if you take it, bring bear spray. Beautiful ride but maybe somewhat longer that you're looking for.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:43:56 pm by hikerjer »

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »
It's been 20 years since I rode through the park, so maybe things have changed for the better road-wise, but I can think of better places to ride than Teton Park. From the south of Yellowstone to Jenny Lake was nerve racking traffic-wise.

And note that you may not practice dispersed camping in the park. You may only camp in established campgrounds.

You're in Bozeman. Why not start out with something more local? Three Forks is a scant, flat 31 miles away. From there it's a short hop to L&C Caverns. From there, the Bike Camp at Twin Bridges is not a hard ride.

Or if you want to get into the woods on fairly easy gravel park in Philipsburg, ride over the hill and down to Rock Creek Rd. and hang a right. There are at least five U.S.F.S. campgrounds with water between there and I-90. 30 miles of gravel and 10 miles of paved road. Beautiful road along a blue ribbon trout stream that's know for its moose sightings along with its fish. Just before the Interstate there is a private campground with a decent restaurant:

https://ekstromstagestation.com/

Would make a nice out and back excursion with only one hill in each direction. If you spent the night before at the Inn/campground in Philipsburg, the owner might allow you to leave you car at the place. Unless she's sold the place, she's a hoot.

http://www.theinn-philipsburg.com/

Offline PNWRider92

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 07:48:25 pm »
Also important to note if you're planning to do it this year that none of the NPS campgrounds in Yellowstone are open. Only the privately owned ones.

I did a loop 3 years ago. Started at the ACA in Missoula and did a loop.

Missoula ---> Darby ---> Wisdom ---> Bannack ---> Twin Bridges ----> West Yellowstone (long day! Friend is a pastor their so stayed with them for a few days) ---> Madison Campground (only 11 miles into the park but my friends were the host their so camped behind their RV) ---> Grant Village Campground ---> Signal Mountain Campground (Grand Teton NP - 4 days here) ---> Jackson Hole (hotel) ---> Driggs, Idaho (Up and over Teton Pass... Owners of the drive-in movie theater let me camp on their property) ---> West Yellowstone (few more days here) ---> Twin Bridges ----> Wisdom (2 days here to avoid an incoming storm) ---> Darby (Over the old dirt Gibbons Pass) ---> Missoula

The ride was beautiful. I highly recommend Gibbons Pass over Lost Trail/Chief Joseph if you're traveling to Darby. I wouldn't do it from Darby.
Instagram: tyjames0604

Wisconsin --> Washington ---> Colorado

Offline LouMelini

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 06:46:40 pm »
Currently the closed campgrounds in Yellowstone include Norris, Fishing Bridge and in the Northeast, Slough creek and Tower falls. The campsites with hiker/biker sites are open. (madison, Grant Village and I believe Canyon campgrounds) When I went through Yellowstone in July, the showers at Grant Village were turned off.

Offline smm7144

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 12:51:00 am »
I went through Yellowstone and Grand Teton mid-July I stayed at the hiker/biker sites at Grant Village and Jenny Lake. Great sites no showers were on but didn't have a problem getting a site.