Author Topic: What are you doing for COVID cycling and safety?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline jinx

What are you doing for COVID cycling and safety?
« on: May 01, 2020, 10:12:34 am »
Hi everyone.

On crowded MUPs/Bike Trails what are you doing to protect yourself while cycling? With everyone home, my regular/favorite bike trail has become extremely crowded especially near residential areas. And not eveyone is following the COVIC safety guidlines. It's gotten so bad that I don't care to use the trail.

I really can't enjoy cycling on the roads/streets with motor vehicle traffic buzzing around me. I have/use a COVID mask but find it unconfortable to wear all the time. My wife made me a quick on/off mask but then I'm continually putting it on/off. I need and want to ride my bike but haven't figured out a happy way to do it.

I suppose I could keep riding around my boring block but that's a poor substitute for my 14 mile daily bike trail ride I really enjoyed. I could pack up my bike and head to a remote distant trail but that's more effort and expense than riding from my driveway to my nearby trail everyday.

If you're like me, what are you doing for COVID cycling and safety?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:15:35 am by jinx »

Offline John Nettles

Re: What are you doing for COVID cycling and safety?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:57:35 am »
I just ride on county roads and when on the trails, I definitely do not get close enough to draft even if more than 6'.  If the winds blow across the trail versus along the trail, you should be fine, so long as you keep your distance.

Tailwinds (unless riding in a group),  John

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:17:30 am »
Same as John, find lightly traveled streets and roads to ride.  If there's a lot of cars at the MUP trailhead, I'll ride the roads.

Since this forum has a preponderance of bicycle tourists, most of us have learned to ride comfortably with (light) traffic.  As I've posted elsewhere, it's a matter of getting accustomed to it.  Ride around your neighborhood, or nearby neighborhood streets, where there's little traffic.  Once you're used to that, try riding suburban streets with a little more traffic.  When that's comfortable for you, find some rural roads with next to no traffic -- get used to taking the lane, most country drivers are used to changing lanes to pass slow moving traffic like bicycles (or tractors).  Next, find three or four lane roads that only have two lanes' worth of traffic when you're riding them, and get used to that.  Pretty soon you're OK on all but the most crowded, high speed roads none of us want to ride on a bike.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:33:19 pm »
I avoid MUP like the plague. Cars are safer than people.

Offline hikerjer

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 12:58:49 am »
Pretty much what John and Pat said. Frankly, I haven't changed my riding habits that much. Our trails and roads are not so crowded that's it's a real issue. Advantage of living in the sticks, I guess.  If I do pass other riders/walkers, I do so quickly and with as much distance as possible.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:25:38 pm by hikerjer »

Offline jinx

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 12:59:03 am »
Thanks everyone.

Mid-afternoon for a ride on the trail works best for me. Mid-morning is more crowded. Early morning, late evening or night rides are out of the question. I'll check the trail periodically for congestion now that things might be easing.

In the meantime I'll ride my subdivision's boring low-traffic streets. Call me a wimp, but I really don't like and can't enjoy riding with vehicular traffic. Over the years I've gotten use to the comfort, safety and convenience of my MUP's. On roads I find myself constantly looking in my mirror and over my shoulder waiting to get clobbered.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:07:36 am by jinx »

Offline canalligators

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:58 pm »
... On roads I find myself constantly looking in my mirror and over my shoulder waiting to get clobbered.

I watch EVERY vehicle pass me in my mirror.  BTW Are you practicing good lane placement?  Cowering on the side line is an invitation to get crowded.  Moving out a bit, maybe a quarter lane, is like magic, it makes them move over.

Offline jinx

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 07:56:19 am »
Canalligators, it's more than just lane placement.

I wasn't going to mention this, but I'm old and I can't go very long without relieving myself. Along my 14 mile bike trail ride I have easy access to several porta-pottie's and restrooms and that's not counting most of the trail is wooded.

Riding streets and roads, it's not quite so convenient.

Offline canalligators

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 05:38:49 pm »
My apologies for speaking before I understood!

Offline jinx

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 01:07:54 am »
No problem Canalligators. I'm sure many share my situation and concerns.

You're right. When forced onto streets/roads I'm usually hugging the right edge. I'll cautiously try to move more towards the center. Many streets/roads are not that wide with poor or no shoulder. With oncoming traffic, some driver get impatient. Around here, drivers are supposed to pass with a minimum of 3 feet clearence but many don't.

I'm just an old casual cyclist but I've often wondered, how during the Tour de France, Giro de Italia, Vuelta a Espana, the riders drink plenty of fluids yet go hours without stopping?

Offline jamawani

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 09:10:24 am »
Move to Wyoming?

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 11:38:17 am »
Move to Wyoming?

I don't know.  The smallest population of any state, yet the situation there is so bad Wyoming rates one of only 13 federal crisis teams?

:)

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 11:47:22 am »
I'm just an old casual cyclist but I've often wondered, how during the Tour de France, Giro de Italia, Vuelta a Espana, the riders drink plenty of fluids yet go hours without stopping?

They actually stop a few times per race.  They just literally stop beside the road and pee.   When you here the commentators mention "nature break", that just means they are stopping to pee.  Sometimes it is a group consensus and the unwritten rule is to not attack if the leader(s) are stopping for a nature break.

I have no idea what the women do or if someone needs to go #2.   

Tailwinds, John

Offline jamawani

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 01:56:52 pm »
I don't know.  The smallest population of any state, yet the situation there is so bad Wyoming rates one of only 13 federal crisis teams?

Huh? Whatcha ya talkin' about?

At last count -
Alabama has 8699 cases;  347 deaths.
Wyoming has 631 cases; 7 deaths.

Not only does Wyoming have a lower rate per 100,000 people,
But Wyoming has fewer people spread out over amuch larger area, too.

Plenty of empty roads and trails to ride.