Author Topic: Riding from Greenville, SC to Columbus, GA? Yes or No?  (Read 264 times)

Offline MBaker

Riding from Greenville, SC to Columbus, GA? Yes or No?
« on: June 01, 2020, 03:35:26 pm »
I was going to be riding from Greenville, SC to Charleston, SC for the Ride To Remember.  That has now been cancelled.  Instead of doing a 'virtual ride' I am now planning to ride the approx 280-290 miles towards our family vacation in Destin, FL.  The route planners are all a little different (RideWithGPS, Strava, Kamoot, Hammerhead by Karoo, Google Maps).  I'd love some expertise in the Georgia and South Carolina region if I can get it.  Safety of roads.  Safety of the communities.  Etc.

I will be leaving July 16th of 17th and trying to ride between 100-120 miles a day.  Maybe more if the weather and nutrition supports it.  I will likely stay at a hotel half way through and then have my family pick me up on way after my ride is complete.  Looks like most of the routes have me going somewhere between Athens, GA and Atlanta, GA and then continuing southwest to Columbus.

I hear Georgia roads are pretty nice, but the last thing I want to be going into the wrong neighborhood, or having to fight off a Antifa group:)

My last 100 mile ride I averaged about 18-19 mph.  Probably a little less ele.gain as I would experience in Georgia.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Offline BikePacker

Re: Riding from Greenville, SC to Columbus, GA? Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 07:58:52 am »
While I am not knowledgeable enough to offer specific routing,
I can knowingly generally offer to you that the
'safety of roads/communities' you mention' and the
'pretty nice Georgia roads'
will be in your greatest number of options if you are willing to consider
Greenville as directly as possible to Macon to Columbus,
rather than routing anywhere even near the outskirts of metropolitan Atlanta.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:15:06 am by BikePacker »

Online John Nettles

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:00:31 pm »
Sad to hear the RTR got cancelled.  IF you can get a route past Atlanta, I can get you a GPS route from Clemson to Atlanta but you will need a GPS as I don't have time to create a cue sheet as I am creating a bunch right now for other people and won't have the time unfortunately.
It basically goes from Clemson > Iva > Elberton > Winterville (east of Athens) then skirts to south around Athens to Watkinsville > Rutledge > Atlanta.  The route into Atlanta uses the bike paths and/or the popular club ride routes though they may not be light traffic depending on the time/day.

These routes are based on touring by bike, not just making miles so there is some zig-zagging along the lesser traveled roads while taking services (cafe, CS, hotels, grocery, etc.) in to consideration. I personally would ride the entire route and in fact plan to do so, possibly in later September (stupid Wuhan virus is ruining all my plans!).

Another option though much longer is to take the Clemson route to all the way to Statesboro, GA, where you can pick up ACA's Atlantic Coast route to say St. George, GA, where you would do your own route to Perry, FL, where I have another route that would take you to Destin along/very near the coast.  I rode the Gold Coast route a several years ago and it was nice.

Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful and safe trip!

Tailwinds, John

Offline Figaro

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 07:23:04 pm »
I rode from Myrtle Beach, SC to Dickson, TN last year. Started on June 16th. I mapped my entire route just using Google Maps using the bike option. Day 1 I made it to Santee, SC -- about 139 miles. Day 2 I stopped in Augusta, 102 miles. Those first two days were really good riding conditions. From Augusta to Atlanta was a PIA, but once I got to the West side of Atlanta and hit the Silver Comet trail it was fantastic riding.

Offline MBaker

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 09:59:24 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I've decided to cut part of the trip short and ride from Greenville, SC to Athens, GA.  I'll do some of the rest later.  We'll see how it goes:)