Author Topic: Aurora or Aurora Elite? and frame size question for short rider  (Read 1063 times)

Offline froze

Re: Aurora or Aurora Elite? and frame size question for short rider
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 05:54:02 pm »

Froze, congratulations on buying you Marrakesh; I hope it serves your well.  You are putting lots of miles on it to get ready for your tour, right?
[/quote]

I didn't buy the Marrakesh, it was one I was looking at, but then I found out it needed proprietary racks and bags, so I backed down on that deal.  I ended up with Masi Giramondo 700c instead, it checked off all my boxes except tires, and seat.  I got it about 4 weeks ago, though I only put on 250 miles so far just to test it out because I have to take back to the bike shop to be pro fitted on it, they're going to do it for free!   Until I get dialed in I'm riding my Lynskey.  But what little I did ride the Masi it's extremely comfortable as far as road jarring goes. It's a bit heavy at 28 pounds with racks and tires, but for some reason, probably cost, they put on heavy Kenda Drumlin KS tires, those pigs weigh 1600 grams a piece, so I use those till I go on a longer touring ride and then replace them with Schwalbe Marathon Supremes which only weigh 500 grams a piece, that's a huge weight difference, 1100 grams per tire, that's nearly 5 pounds of weight I'll be dropping off the bike!! Plus the Supremes are the third fastest rolling tire of all the touring tires on the market; so 5 pounds coming off and less rolling resistance, should make for a marked improvement in the weight and response of the bike. 

I can't go touring yet anyways due to all the state parks are still closed, but I should be making a short one (one day out, one day back) in early June, and then a couple of moderate ones, 3 to 4 days out and back.  I can't do the across America trip till I retire which will be in 4 years, so till then all my trips will be 3 to 6 days out and back.  I get plenty of vacation time it's just that the across America trip takes something like 3 months on the Adventure Cycling trip thing.  Not sure if I want to go in a group or just go it alone, Adventure Cycling raised their prices on the self contained one by quite a bit, just wondering what the prices will be like in 4 years!  I'm still on a limb about how to go on that trip.

Offline ianraff

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 03:56:49 pm »
A follow up on the bike now i have had it for a couple of weeks.   The rear metal fender broke (metal cracked in half where it attaches to frame).  Not thrilled as they should not be delicate.

I would say that for someone my height the bike just fits.  I have slid the seat all the way forward, if I did not do this it is not comfortable riding with my hands on the horns.

I will say that riding in to some strong winds I appreciated the drop bars.

Apart from the fender issue I have been happy so far. 

I can say that if I was going up any serious hills with (and maybe without) gear I would be swapping the crank for a better granny gear.

Offline froze

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 11:44:49 pm »
it's warranty time for those fenders, they should not have broke that's for sure, so take the bike back to the dealer and have the fenders replaced, which if they're color coded to the bike the fenders will have to come from Jamis which may take awhile since C19 has really screwed up the cycling industry, but regardless how long it takes get a new set.  If you, or a friend, or even the bike shop can look at the fender and tell if it's a bad design and a new one may also break, find out if Jamis will do something else.  Without seeing the fender they probably were made in China and the someone there didn't weld it correctly and it broke, so a new one would probably be fine.