Author Topic: Tires for Touring  (Read 1645 times)

Offline froze

Re: Tires for Touring
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 10:10:44 am »
That was my issue too was the weight and the stiffness factor, which is why I want to get away from the 1600 grams a piece tires I have now!  Problem is I can't get tires now till August due to shipping issues with this C19 crap, so I'm going to be forced to ride on those heavy tires.
Not the end of the world.  Not what I'd choose, but better than not riding at least.

It'll be interesting to find out how difficult it will be to pedal the bike with it fully loaded, which I'm going to put the bags on today and probably go out Monday at this point loaded for some training rides with weight before I go set out on a short tour.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 11:42:52 am »
That was my issue too was the weight and the stiffness factor, which is why I want to get away from the 1600 grams a piece tires I have now!  Problem is I can't get tires now till August due to shipping issues with this C19 crap, so I'm going to be forced to ride on those heavy tires.
Not the end of the world.  Not what I'd choose, but better than not riding at least.

It'll be interesting to find out how difficult it will be to pedal the bike with it fully loaded, which I'm going to put the bags on today and probably go out Monday at this point loaded for some training rides with weight before I go set out on a short tour.
I am a big hater of overbuilt tires with really stiff sidewalls, but to be honest the biggest impact is the ride feel.  The difference in efficiency is not great enough that it will ruin your tour or greatly reduce your daily mileage.

Offline froze

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 03:20:48 pm »

I am a big hater of overbuilt tires with really stiff sidewalls, but to be honest the biggest impact is the ride feel.  The difference in efficiency is not great enough that it will ruin your tour or greatly reduce your daily mileage.

Those tires I have are 2,200 grams heavier then what I could get.  I could be wrong but I would think that while it might not affect my daily mileage, but it could affect how long it takes to get that mileage and how tired a person may be when they get there, is that not correct?

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 04:46:54 pm »

Those tires I have are 2,200 grams heavier then what I could get.  I could be wrong but I would think that while it might not affect my daily mileage, but it could affect how long it takes to get that mileage and how tired a person may be when they get there, is that not correct?
Sure, it is a matter of how much though.  Will they greatly change the timing of your tour?  I doubt it.  If you are ready to ride and they are what you have I wouldn't not ride because of the tires.  Similarly if I was heading out on a multi-month tour I'd hate to use them, but if the budget was tight I could put up with them.  After all they are some rider's first choice.

I figured I'd wear out the Marathon Pluses I had before I replaced them.  Then it occurred to me that they'd last a long time and I wasn't on a tight budget so buying a pair of tires wasn't a big deal.  I was happier buying something else, but I wouldn't have missed a tour because of them or anything like that.

Offline froze

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 05:51:50 pm »

Sure, it is a matter of how much though.  Will they greatly change the timing of your tour?  I doubt it.  If you are ready to ride and they are what you have I wouldn't not ride because of the tires.  Similarly if I was heading out on a multi-month tour I'd hate to use them, but if the budget was tight I could put up with them.  After all they are some rider's first choice.

I figured I'd wear out the Marathon Pluses I had before I replaced them.  Then it occurred to me that they'd last a long time and I wasn't on a tight budget so buying a pair of tires wasn't a big deal.  I was happier buying something else, but I wouldn't have missed a tour because of them or anything like that.

I am going to use the tires only because I have to!  But the good thing for me is that I won't be doing a multi month tour due to time constraints with work, but I will be doing one 4 day out, staying at a hotel at the end point with my wife who will meet me there by car, then I ride back 4 days.  Then I may do another that will be 4 or 5 days out, stay with my brother for a couple of days than head back; that trip is questionable due to the lack of bike friendly roads and campsites going in and out of Detroit, I'm still researching it.  If I don't do that I may do another shorter one.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 12:33:06 am »

I am going to use the tires only because I have to!  But the good thing for me is that I won't be doing a multi month tour due to time constraints with work, but I will be doing one 4 day out, staying at a hotel at the end point with my wife who will meet me there by car, then I ride back 4 days.  Then I may do another that will be 4 or 5 days out, stay with my brother for a couple of days than head back; that trip is questionable due to the lack of bike friendly roads and campsites going in and out of Detroit, I'm still researching it.  If I don't do that I may do another shorter one.

Looks like we're trying to see how deep we can go in quote levels.

Offline froze

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 08:58:43 pm »

LOL!!

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 06:22:56 am »
Looks like we're trying to see how deep we can go in quote levels.
Yeah, I usually trim out the quote levels (like this) but was lazy on this thread.  Not sure I ever saw them get that deep.

Offline stumpg

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 11:45:40 pm »
 I am also debating which Schwalbe to use on a TransAm starting next week (hopefully).  I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Schwalbes mentioned here.  MY favourite has been the Supremes 26x1.6.  Last year I switched to Schwalbe Tour original tour 26x1.75 after receiving a faulty Supreme and another batch that seemed to more fragile than previous years. But this year I ordered new Supremes to try again and also a set of Tour Plus.  My new Supremes seem to have improved in quality and roll so smooth compared to the Original 420 Tours.  The weak point of the Supremes is thin sidewalls (I ripped one on a curb on one tour) and they wear faster ( I change every year). I always carry a spare and the Supremes fold nice and weigh half that of the other tires.  I also had avoided the Tour Plus after seeing my partner struggle trying to change his on his Trek 520.  It took 2 people and lots of work.   I finally tried the Tour Plus 26x1.75 to just to see how they mounted...hand easy on my Velocity Charger rims and they looked so nice I left them on.  I have been running on these about a month now and have forgotten about the weight difference or the slightly more road feel.  These Tour Plus are much more robust than the Supremes (hence the weight) and give me much more confidence and I am debating NOT carrying a spare for the first time if I leave them. Today was 55 miles on the PCH (hilly) with 85lbs total bike + gear (4 panniers).  The Bay Area road shoulders are trashed and very sandy in places.  I was glad I kept the Pluses on for better grip, sidewall strength (easy to lip off road edge or rock).  I have forgotten about the weight difference and they seem smooth and vibration free (just not Supreme butter smooth).

Here is a bit of a Tour Plus and Supreme comparison from a Southern Tier in 2014 with my 2 bike partners running a Tour Plus (700x28?) and the other a Supreme 26x1.6. with slime.  I had 6 flats on my Supreme's, the slimed Supreme had  1 slow leaker, and the Tour Plus had 1 flat.  All bikes (My  Vaya, A Trucker, and Trek 520) were fully loaded using front and rear panniers.  All flats except 1, were from those pesky shredded tire wires (interstate or major highway travel) that slowly work their way through the protective layer and are very difficult to find and remove .  I found it interesting that I had so many more flats, especially since I was running in the rear of the pack. My bike was the only one fendered (mud guards) so maybe that is the difference?  Anyway the next year I tried slime and I will never use that stuff again!

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 06:29:02 am »
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Schwalbes mentioned here.
I don't know about that.  It would seem to me that it is a pretty wide range of tires with a pretty wide range of design features.  Someone who finds a Supreme to be ideal is likely to find the Marathon Plus Tour far from ideal and vice versa.  An 890g tire and a 545g tire the same size from the same manufacturer just are not going to have the same design parameters.  I know that in my case, while not a Schwalbe fan, I'd maybe consider the Supreme, but never the Plus Tour for my touring needs and riding preferences.

The Supreme may be tough enough to not be a terrible answer for the rider who needs a really tough tire.  It may well be a tire that wouldn't be a terrible answer for anyone touring.

The Plus Tour on the other hand has what may be about the stiffest sidewall available so for a rider who cares about a supple casing it will always be a bad choice unless they absolutely need the ultimate in flat resistance and are willing to sacrifice weight and suppleness to an extreme degree.  It fills a niche where avoiding flats at all costs is the criteria only stopping short of a solid tire.  When you compare the weights you get the idea, especially when you consider that the Supreme is by all reports a robust and very tough tire and only weighs about 60% as much.