Author Topic: Solo Trip Cooking Logistics  (Read 1075 times)

Offline John Nelson

Re: Solo Trip Cooking Logistics
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 09:41:48 am »
Do these TSA restrictions apply to alcohol and alcohol stoves? After all, the TSA allows you to fly with a bottle of bourbon, so would there be a difference?

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 09:52:51 am »
Do these TSA restrictions apply to alcohol and alcohol stoves? After all, the TSA allows you to fly with a bottle of bourbon, so would there be a difference?
Pretty sure it is a no go.  That unless you are willing to use 140 proof or less drinking alcohol and carry an unopened bottle.

From TSA site:
"Alcoholic beverages with more than 24% but not more than 70% alcohol are limited in checked bags to 5 liters (1.3 gallons) per passenger and must be in unopened retail packaging. Alcoholic beverages with 24% alcohol or less are not subject to limitations in checked bags. "

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 12:16:32 pm »
Thanks Pete for finding that TSA reference.

I have carried cooking alcohol in my checked luggage in unmarked plastic containers. That's just because I don't want to be burdened to go find a store that sells alcohol immediately upon arrival. I've done it several times without problems, but apparently I was violating TSA rules. So I guess I was just lucky. I'm pretty sure the TSA did open that luggage, but I guess they didn't find my alcohol, or didn't know what it was. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if they had confiscated it.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 12:50:39 pm »
Thanks Pete for finding that TSA reference.

I have carried cooking alcohol in my checked luggage in unmarked plastic containers. That's just because I don't want to be burdened to go find a store that sells alcohol immediately upon arrival. I've done it several times without problems, but apparently I was violating TSA rules. So I guess I was just lucky. I'm pretty sure the TSA did open that luggage, but I guess they didn't find my alcohol, or didn't know what it was. It wouldn't have been the end of the world if they had confiscated it.
Yeah I always found it a pain to immediately need to find fuel at the start of a tour especially since I like to ride right out of the airport.  I may be inclined to try taking some in the approved 3.4 ounce bottle of liquid in a my quart sized bag with toiletries.  That would be enough to allow time to run across a source for more.  I am sure I could tell a plausible enough story as to why I'd be carrying it if they were to ask and worst case they'd take it.