Author Topic: Route around the Great Lakes  (Read 178 times)

Offline jwrushman

Route around the Great Lakes
« on: July 08, 2020, 05:45:15 pm »
I was looking at the ACA overview map, thinking about loops I'd like to take, and wondered if people have done routes around Lake Huron and Lake Superior.  I did a car trip with my family (50-ish years ago) around Lake Superior.  Roads were a little rough then.  I wonder if ACA is considering venturing north.  Except for the short stretches near Lake Erie and Glacier, it seems to me that ACA's focus is US only.  I think I'll check out CGOAB...

Online John Nettles

Re: Route around the Great Lakes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 06:04:32 pm »
I think I'll check out CGOAB...

That is what I was going to suggest.  I believe lots of people have but then it might be hard to qualify "Route around the Great Lakes" as some may take that to mean you have to circumnavigate all the the Great Lakes while others might just think a route that meanders between and near the general Great Lake area.

Hope you have a great tour!  John

Offline trek520touring

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 06:12:19 pm »
Check out USBR41  it covers north side to grand portage .

I hope this helps

Offline canalligators

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 10:32:27 pm »
Were you asking about routes around individual lakes, or a big loop around them all?  I once considered making a big loop around all the lakes and was astounded to find that you were looking at close to 3,000 miles.  Then I figured if I was going to ride that far, I'd rather it be a C2C.

I circled Ontario.  Others have circled many of the lakes, check CGOAB.  One rider who has gone inactive, Jamie Noble, rode two or three of the lakes.  I think that Rich Haubert has also circled a number of the lakes.

One sticking point is Ontario Hwy. 17 on the north side of Lake Huron.  It is the only route (close to the lake) and was notorious for heavy traffic and no paved shoulders.  Ontario MOT did announce they were taking an initiative to improve cycling infrastructure, so that situation may be better.  But Ontario generally has a lot of rural provincial and regional highways with no paved shoulders.  Research it carefully.  Oh, MapArt makes a good series of maps that include all local roads for a lot of Canada.