Author Topic: 30 Days in June/July from DC..  (Read 483 times)

Offline goofylbj

30 Days in June/July from DC..
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:05:36 pm »
Hello!

So I have about 30 days starting in late June departing from DC -- was considering the Eastern Express and coming back from Omaha or thereabouts. Any other ideas that might work?

Thanks in advance! Wish I could squeak out another week to do the whole thing, but looking unlikely...

Offline John Nettles

Re: 30 Days in June/July from DC..
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 11:10:49 pm »
Sounds like a nice trip but if I were totally open, I would head further north to escape the heat and humidity.  Otherwise, a nice route.  Tailwinds, John

Offline goofylbj

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 11:13:29 pm »
I was considering that... any suggestions?

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 11:41:47 pm »
I personally would take the train over to say Milwaukee and ride across Wisconsin which has pretty and bucolic farm scenery and not just of fields; tons of decent rail trails; and good summertime weather.

Make your way say to La Crosse then either up to Minneapolis where you can take the newly published Peaks, Parks, and Praire (PPP) route, or you could ride from La Crosse to Reliance, SD, join the PPP there saving about 3-4 days (I can send you a route if you want if you have a GPS).    From Reliance, continue on the PPP until either Buffalo or Cody, WY, or Yellowstone depending on your time.  Another option would be to start west and head east but you would have an altitude adjustment for a few days before riding so that would not great.

Whatever you choose, have a great trip!!  Tailwinds, John

Offline goofylbj

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 06:32:29 pm »
Awesome tips! I'm definitely looking north now after this tip! Have some friends who it would be fun to visit on the Northern Tier. Thanks a ton, John. Also eyeing PPP...

Offline SwampYankee

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 01:20:02 pm »
Has anyone done the PPP yet? Looks like a great route!

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 01:23:57 pm »
It looks like a few have started it or will very soon.  I have ridden parts of it in the past (before it was official).  It is a nice route.  I would not doubt the Northern Tier route loses a bunch of riders to this route.

Offline SwampYankee

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 01:48:45 pm »
I agree, I am thinking about doing the TA to West Yellowstone, then picking up the PPP and then the North Lakes and Erie connector and somehow cross NY State (Erie Canal Trail) to finish in Boston rather than Bar Harbor. Am I a bit nuts to piece so many routes together like that?

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 01:52:17 pm »
Not at all.  That is the wonderful thing about being able to buy the maps in segments in that you can piece together a route that works for you. 

I personally wish ACA would start to create "connector" routes, i.e. TA to ST, TA to PPP, etc.

John