Regional Discussion Area > California

bike on Amtrak - California Zephyr

<< < (2/2)

jamawani:
A cardboard box with nylon straps to make carrying easier.
Then save the nylon straps for camping / tie-down use.

adrian99:

--- Quote from: John Nelson on July 27, 2020, 04:53:58 pm ---I just use a cardboard box.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: John Nelson on July 27, 2020, 04:53:58 pm ---I just use a cardboard box.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the great suggestions.  Right now I'm planning to bike to the station from home, so the duffel would be easier for me to carry (empty and folded up) than a cardboard box.  I live in an area where free duffels come up on craigslist pretty often - although I may need to get 2 medium sized ones instead of one big one. Just scored one yesterday. 

Nyimbo:

--- Quote from: jamawani on July 28, 2020, 09:49:59 am ---A cardboard box with nylon straps to make carrying easier.
Then save the nylon straps for camping / tie-down use.

--- End quote ---
I like that idea, I decided against the box idea last time I flew home because when traveling through the airport and security with all my panniers and stuff inside I needed to be able to carry it on my shoulder, and carry my handlebar bag on my other shoulder.  A strapped box might just work tho.  Loading onto the train, I guess you could carry the box on the bike as you walked it into the train station - so might work...

dayjack119:
The Zephyr people in my many experiences just roll my bike into a corner where it is lashed down.  There is a rack but they don't use it.  They limit the number of bikes per train so they can leave room for freight which is where they make some money.  The baggage guys are usually nice and don't get too worked up about the rules.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version