Author Topic: Sag support for cross country ride  (Read 374 times)

Offline lbernert3@icloud.com

Sag support for cross country ride
« on: March 29, 2021, 07:25:05 pm »
With the world reopening my 21 yo son and I are planning a cross country trip, tentatively planning San Diego or Santa Monica to Norfolk Va starting mid August and allowing 8 weeks. Hoping to stay mostly in hotels. For a bunch of reasons we’re looking for partial sag support so we can travel light. I’m thinking we’d ride a couple of days or even a week between meetings with the sag, but would like the support to be relatively near (150 miles or so) in case of major mechanical problem. We may also need more support for some portions of the route.We’re also planning to bring an extra bike so my daughter and a couple of friends can meet us for different parts of the ride.

If anyone has any general guidance or specific advice about the sag, I would be grateful!

Larry

Offline HikeBikeCook

• World Traveler
  • Have been bike touring for over 50 years
Re: Sag support for cross country ride
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:47:34 am »
Can you clarify a bit? Is the SAG vehicle going to be driven by a friend or family member or are you looking to hire out support? Also, there are bike shops along most major routes and plenty of places to resupply typically. With gaps of up to five days you will need to be prepared for some basic repairs on the road. Also, anything you need for a few days is probably all you really need for the entire trip. The typical SAG support is daily meetings or every few days. The farther you get from home base the harder it will be for family or friends to support you. You can drive in a day what it takes a week to ride by bicycle, so things get pretty boring for the SAG driver.
Long Distance Hiker - AT Thru-hike 2007
Long distance cyclist - multi day tours - TDF tour Alpes 2005
Surly Disc Trucker, Lightspeed Classic, Scott Scale, Klein Mantra Comp. First touring bike Peugeot U08 - 1966

Offline lbernert3@icloud.com

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 09:51:03 am »
I’m flexible on the sag  support. Have one friend, a retired gentleman,  who says he doesn’t mind a slow pace across the country. I’m not sure he understands just how boring it would be though!

I’m also happy to pay for more intensive support. I’ve got some orthopedic issues that might require a day or two off now and then and with support that wouldn’t require shutting the trip down for my son. Also as I mentioned we have some friends and family who might want to join for part of it. So the bottom line is I don’t want to do the trip completely unsupported but am open to lots of possibilities  re levels of support.

Thanks for asking!

Offline HikeBikeCook

• World Traveler
  • Have been bike touring for over 50 years
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:32:18 am »
As I am entering into retirement we are looking at lots of options. My wife does not love mountains and one of the things we discussed is, if we do a trip with a stretch of mountains, is to rent a one-way van and let her run SAG while I ride, then return the van on the other side of the mountains. UHAUL and Enterprise are both options. When you physical issues flare up, rent a van and you be the SAG driver for your son.

We had to bail out in the middle of a week long trip due to injury and I rented an Enterprise pickup. "We pick you up" is their slogan, and they picked us up at out hotel. We threw our bikes in the back of the truck, retrieved our car and returned the truck. This is also the method we are using on the Erie Canal this fall. Leave the car at a campground at the end closest to home. Rent a one way pickup and drive to the far end. There is a drop off agency 5 miles from the trail, so we can hit the trail and end back at our car.

At least in the east there are UHAUL shops in every town.
Long Distance Hiker - AT Thru-hike 2007
Long distance cyclist - multi day tours - TDF tour Alpes 2005
Surly Disc Trucker, Lightspeed Classic, Scott Scale, Klein Mantra Comp. First touring bike Peugeot U08 - 1966