Author Topic: Atlantic Coast Route - Massachusetts >< Maine  (Read 2015 times)

Offline LARRYL05

Atlantic Coast Route - Massachusetts >< Maine
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:58:01 am »
Twice a year I try to do some miles on a different ACA route. Next adventure, June 5 --Massachusetts >< Maine. I rather do heading north but I will do other way if it means not fighting northerly winds everyday.  Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions. I know in bike touring we deal with whatever mother nature throws our way, but a little planning never hurts.
Thanks

Offline John Nettles

Re: Atlantic Coast Route - Massachusetts >< Maine
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 01:06:16 pm »
I rode many many many moons ago and I was young and strong I can't help you.  However, I would suggest you check out WeatherSpark.com as they have a very good climate data base for most places in the world.

You can really drill down into all aspects for the AVERAGE. 

Hope you have a great trip!  Tailwinds, John

Offline HikeBikeCook

• World Traveler
  • Touring for over 50 years and still learning
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 04:17:49 pm »
I live between Boston and Providence and the prevailing wind is FROM the southwest according to our weathervane. This year is far windier than I can remember. We will see winds from the north when a storm is brewing. However, this is New England - don't like the weather - just wait a minute. :) The coast can be extremely windy. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.93968360000008&lon=-71.28463709999994#.YGzBpmhKiUl
Surly Disc Trucker, Lightspeed Classic, Scott Scale, Klein Mantra Comp. First touring bike Peugeot U08 - 1966

Offline LARRYL05

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 09:29:28 am »
Thank you to both of you for the information - Larry

Offline ides1056

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 10:49:25 am »
I'd consider riding inland routes to avoid the traffic that congregates on the coast. I don't mind wind, but rain is never welcome. Below sixty degrees definitely not. If you can time your trip during a lull in the weather do so.

Offline David W Pratt

• Road Warrior
  • Like bicycle based camping
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 05:01:52 pm »
HikeBikeCook is right.  Winds are named by the direction from which they come.  Prevailing wind in the northeast coast is from the Southwest.  Maine is called "Down East" because the wind made going there from, say Boston, downwind, and the earth's magnetic variation made the compass course easterly.
The bad weather there is typically a northeaster, blowing from the north east, often followed by a northwester as the high pressure returns.

Offline morleyrf

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:44:53 am »
Travelling from Boston to Portland Me:
Can anyone tell why the adventure cycling app shows boston to the coast loop as 4900 ft elevation change while Google maps, using the same route (roughly) shows an elevation change of 1800 ft. 
On top of that, why isn't the route from Boston and North following the coast line? 

Offline HikeBikeCook

• World Traveler
  • Touring for over 50 years and still learning
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 06:30:15 am »
My guess is that they chose that route to avoid the extremely heavy traffic and urban development in the Boston area and parts north.
Surly Disc Trucker, Lightspeed Classic, Scott Scale, Klein Mantra Comp. First touring bike Peugeot U08 - 1966