Author Topic: Sierra Cascades Mixie Alternative  (Read 457 times)

Offline Forestonbike

Sierra Cascades Mixie Alternative
« on: June 27, 2021, 07:51:51 pm »
If you are touring the Sierra Cascades route with tires that are 35mm or wider, take this beautiful alternative to avoid a bad stretch of HWY 89 between Truckee and Greenville: https://revopath.com/trulassen-gravel-bikepacking-routes/#mixie-alternative

This 106-mile alternative is scenic and includes plenty of options for resupplies, camping, and motels. You’ll ride on quiet, paved and gravel roads past beautiful lakes and meadows. And you’ll pass through small, quaint towns nestled on the edges of valleys. The gravel roads are generally high quality, but wider tires will give you more confidence on the descents.

Compared to the ACA route, you’ll add about 15 more miles and 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Well worth it to avoid the stress of riding on HWY 89.

Offline John Nettles

Re: Sierra Cascades Mixie Alternative
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 09:08:11 pm »
Forest,
Welcome to the ACA Forums and thank you for offing an alternative for people to consider.  However, promoting for-profit endeavors on this site that you have a personal interest in is discouraged.  Maybe I am wrong but it appears you (or someone else) wants $25/year for "access" to the alternative route. 

While I totally understand what it takes to develop a route (I have thousands that I have in various stages of "development" but without the website) and feel it is reasonable to be compensated, making your post (your first!) a commercial post (assuming you are the "author" of the TruLassen routes) is a bit tacky.  It makes it appears you are more interested in making money than helping others.  Most of the regulars on here freely give route suggestions to encourage cycle touring.

That said, I wish you success in your website and hope you become a regular contributor here at the ACA forums.

Tailwinds, John

Offline Forestonbike

Re: Sierra Cascades Mixie Alternative
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 10:15:38 pm »
Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand your concerns.

I shared the alternative route in this forum because I truly believe that it is relevant and valuable to people considering the Sierra Cascades route. It is hardly profitable to sell a $25 guide to a handful of tourists. My hard costs simply for RWGPS and website hosting is well over $500/year. Though I haven't invested time on the ACA forum (like you), I am a huge supporter of cycle tourists:
  • I've donated a meaningful amount to the ACA achieving a "Life Member" designation
    I've hosted over 40 cyclists via warmshowers
    Over 100 riders have ridden the (free) Bones to Blue route that I created and support annually
    And I'm launching another free route/event this summer (The TruLassen Tour)

Best,

Forest