Author Topic: Best Water Bottle?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline canalligators

Re: Best Water Bottle?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2021, 10:19:31 pm »
In my experience, dark colored plastic water bottles get a lot hotter in the sun.  I don't thing it's air flow around the bottles, even hot air, so much as it being a little solar collector.  Something about dark masses absorbing more solar energy, you know those pesky laws of thermodynamics...

Offline David W Pratt

• Road Warrior
  • Like bicycle based camping
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 08:02:49 pm »
I wouldn't say they are the "Best" if such a thing even exists, but I really like the nozzle/mouthpiece on my bottle made by Camel back (I think).  It turns about 90° to turn off and on, but even in the on position, it doesn't leak, yet gushes when squeezed or sucked on.  Some bottles have such restricted nozzles it is hard to get a good swallow out of them.

Offline HikeBikeCook

• World Traveler
  • Touring for over 50 years and still learning
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2021, 05:54:32 am »
Two additional observations on water bottles:

When back or bike packing for more than a week or 10 days I carry a small bottle of bleach and add a drop or two to my water bottles and let them stand for a few hours once a week to clean them out. I have had some of the newer "softer" water bottles develop a dark stain inside and use a bit extra bleach when that happens.

When I drink water while riding I try to stop for a minute and drink from the open top, not from the squirters - you get more water, it is more satisfying, you get less air, it gets you off the saddle for a few minutes. Doesn't work as well group riding but with my wife and I riding together we remind the other one to drink. Your urine should be running clear or you are not drinking enough. Many riders ride dehydrated.

Surly Disc Trucker, Lightspeed Classic, Scott Scale, Klein Mantra Comp. First touring bike Peugeot U08 - 1966

Offline canalligators

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2021, 08:21:12 pm »
A fellow rider once warned me about GI distress.  He claimed it was common on group rides, people just rinse their bottles and refill the next morning.  He had just bought a small bottle of bleach for his party to share. 

I took his warning to heart.  When I/we travel, I am the chief cook and bottle washer; I take a small bottle of dish soap along, and diligently wash the bottles every night with soap and hot water.  The only time I wasn't careful, on a solo tour, I started to have issues, realized it was happening and corrected.  Problem went away.

Offline Westinghouse

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 05:29:23 am »
I used a $1.00 plastic bottle from dollar tree, and a clear plastic smart-water bottle for 54 days from Florida to California. No leaks. There was no keeping water cold with these things, but it was winter, so temperatures took care of themselves. I remember the old thermos bottles. Those kept cold drinks cold. I have not taken the luxury of an insulated bottle. I remember draining bottles countless times on a summer crossing from FL to CA. I absorbed 2 and 1/2 to nearly 3 gallons of liquid daily. And with that I did not urinate even once in four days. It was going through me and out the skin, not the kidneys. I drank 47 ounce fountain drinks 5 and 6 times a day. I drained my bottles. I drank extra in restaurants. I would drink a 47 ounce beverage, go to sleep under the stars, and wake up dehydrated. It must have been 120 F out there on the open road with a drought, high temperatures, and not a breath of air in any direction. I did not ever use a water bottle made to insulate, only for carrying capacity and size.