Author Topic: Tents, locks, kickstands, gear protection, and hauling stuff  (Read 1684 times)

Offline driftlessregion

Re: Tents, locks, kickstands, gear protection, and hauling stuff
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 06:21:16 pm »
The Surly is designed to handle better with a front load than without a load. Take advantage of that.
Your water bottle weighs more than your toothbrush. Don't over think it.
The nice thing about panniers is that they protect the bike if it falls over, or lay it down it intentionally.

Offline BikePacker

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2021, 07:18:18 am »
attaching with bungee cords
While bungee cords are a modern convenience miracle,
if one breaks as you are in motion and entangles in your spokes
it may not be good.
I'd encourage you to consider good straps
in lieu of bungees?

Online staehpj1

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2021, 08:10:32 am »
in lieu of bungees?
I prefer straps as well.  Having used both I find straps more reilable at holding gear and safer for you.  Not only are straps generally more secure, they don't spring back and potentially hit you in the eye (not as rare of an accident as you might think).  I use cheap light weight straps and carry a spare, or rely on having a piece of cord until a replacement is available, if the setup doesn't have any built in redundancy.

If you do use bungees be careful. Eye injuries are fairly common with their usage and a tired cyclist is likely to make mistakes on a long tour.  Google bungee cord eye injury statistics or check:
https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20000502/bungee-cords-eye-injury

Oh and when it comes to straps, I prefer polypropylene ones over nylon.  They are cheap, light weight, don't loosen when wet, and don't absorb water.  They aren't particularly strong for their size, but are strong enough in the sizes we would use.  Polyester is another good choice, stronger and more UV stable than polypro, usually more expensive.  Truth be told either poly type or nylon are all fine.  I just usually pick up the Coghlan's ploypro ones that are abour $3 and consider them a consumable rather than buy expensive ones and expect them to last forever since I find that even with the expensive ones I wind up breaking a buckle or something eventually.  They get replaced as they wear out.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 08:30:21 am by staehpj1 »

Offline canalligators

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 08:29:21 am »
I took a hit just above my eye, from a heavy duty black bungee.  I was lucky, it only chipped my eyeglass lens and gave me a cut that could have used a stitch or two.

If you do use bungees, and I occasionally do, ALWAYS stand away from the area where it could fly, if either end came loose.  And put some steri-strips in your first aid kit.

Offline HikeBikeCook

• World Traveler
  • Touring for over 50 years and still learning
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 08:41:27 am »
Totally second the warning on bungee cords, already being almost totally blind in the left eye. I use them where the stretch of the cord matters, but I carry two straps rolled up and stored in a ziplock bag for when I need them. You can always tie one end of the strap to something if a buckle breaks, where as a bungee cord with a missing end does not tie well.

A good strap also is less likely to pop off on a bump or get torn off by a wayward branch. Also, straps compress way better since once you cinch them and they stay. A bungee only compresses as much as the elastic allows.
Surly Disc Trucker, Lightspeed Classic, Scott Scale, Klein Mantra Comp. First touring bike Peugeot U08 - 1966

Offline John Nettles

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 09:56:56 am »
I took a hit just above my eye, from a heavy duty black bungee.  I was lucky, it only chipped my eyeglass lens and gave me a cut that could have used a stitch or two.

If you do use bungees, and I occasionally do, ALWAYS stand away from the area where it could fly, if either end came loose.  And put some steri-strips in your first aid kit.
Glad you are doing OK and it wasn't worse.  I had a similar story about 40 years ago.  I have used web straps ever since.  Never an issue. 

I have a healthy disregard for bungies.  I just don't trust them.  Look at all the broken ones you see on the road.  The only ones I use are the little 6" thins ones for securing electrical cords at home and I don't even like those.

Offline BikePacker

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2021, 07:30:05 am »
... bungies ...  Look at all the broken ones you see on the road. 
: ) a most worthy point.

Offline John Nelson

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2021, 02:02:22 pm »
While bungee cords are a modern convenience miracle,
if one breaks as you are in motion and entangles in your spokes
it may not be good.
in lieu of bungees?

I enthusiastically agree!! How many bungee cords do we see lying on the shoulders of the roads we ride? Where did they come from? Straps are much safer and much more adaptable. Yes they take a couple of extra seconds to apply.

Offline jwrushman

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2021, 09:23:31 pm »
I like bungees!  They're quick and easy to attach.  I can stuff my rain jacket under the cord when not needed.  I concede that they may cause an injury if it malfunctions (as does everything else).  Best of all, they're free!  I kept on picking them up on the side of the road!

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 08:41:02 am »
Noting broken bungees seen on the road doesn’t take into account the loads they were securing and the forces they were subjected to that caused them to fail.

Online staehpj1

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2021, 09:00:06 am »
Noting broken bungees seen on the road doesn’t take into account the loads they were securing and the forces they were subjected to that caused them to fail.
Most of what I see on the side of the road are those heavy duty rubber tie downs that are used on tractor trailers to secure heavy duty tarps and what not.  Heavy duty stuff used in a heavy duty role.  They aren't something I'd use on a bike.  I wonder if those are what some of you are talking about or if you mean regular bungee cords made of shock cord.  Sure there are some, but I have not really noticed all that many of the regular shock cord ones on the roadside.

Either way... I'd rather use straps.

Offline ray b

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2021, 12:24:43 am »
Elastic "bungee" straps:
https://rokstraps.com/
I've not had a failure to date.
“A good man always knows his limitations.”

Offline canalligators

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 04:26:19 pm »
I will look int those.  They would provide most or all of the advantages of both straps and bungees, without the hazards of bungees.  The only downsides might be cost or durability; but I wouldn’t mind paying more or replacing more often.

Offline ray b

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 12:44:03 am »
.  The only downsides might be cost or durability; but I wouldn’t mind paying more or replacing more often.

Excellent durabulity and UV resistance. Ran 6 in 2 sizes on the GDMBR without fray, change in elasticity or buckle issues. Used to consider myself a connoisseur of byngeea, but no nore.
“A good man always knows his limitations.”

Online staehpj1

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2021, 06:21:53 am »
Any gear I strap on has enough give that I don't find a need for any elasticity in the straps.  That and I'd rather have a lighter and much cheaper strap.  I'll pass on the ROK strap and use the $3 ones myself.