Author Topic: STOLEN Co-Motion Americano  (Read 4497 times)

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
Re: STOLEN Co-Motion Americano
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 02:05:15 pm »
It all worked out ok in the end.  I got a newer, upgraded (got S&S and a Pinion P-18) Co-Motion for only my deductible so I guess it worked out.  Sure, I wish they had not stolen it but at least it worked out OK for me. 

Still dealing with the insurance hassles but all is good. 

Offline froze

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 05:08:20 pm »
I'm glad you got it replaced with something you wanted, but man those Americano's were beautiful bikes, and extremely well made! 

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 12:52:31 pm »
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. 

The good news is a local bike shop recognized my bike when someone who didn't know anything about the bike brought it in saying he bought it at a garage sale for $200.  The bike shop called the police and me and the Tulsa Police Department impounded it.

The bad news is the thief scratched off the serial numbers on the frame and the hub.  As a result, the TPD had to go through 3 divisions to get the bike released to me.  After a little over a month, I picked up the bike today.

The ugly is the thief really tried to ensure it would not be recognized.  He scratched the serial numbers off as stated above.  He stripped the paint (not just painted over) from not just the frame but also the seat post then spray painted it.  The removed the Tubus racks and some screws for the various bosses.  He replaced the Frog pedals, Selle Anatomic saddle, seat post, seat binder bracket, my wonderful rubber Velo bar end plugs and the Kage water bottles. He also removed all the brake and Rohloff housing and cables.  That is why he brought it in since he couldn't figure out how to replace it.

Luckily, it appears he left the hubs (other than the scratching the serial number off the Rohloff), rims, and belt drive alone.  What is weird is the thing I was most upset the bike being stolen about was the Schwalbe Mondial tires which were brand new.  Luckily, they weathered the crisis also and are glad to be back home.

I plan on contacting Rohloff and see if I can buy a new shell with a new serial number.  I think I can get the bike up to "new" condition with a new powder coat, cables, handle bar tape, etc. for under $1000.  Who knows.  However, before I start too much, I will contact the insurance company to see what they want to do since they basically ended up buying me a new Co-Motion Americano S&S with Pinion and Belt drive so I really can't complain if they want the old one.

Anyway, occasionally stolen bikes are recovered; some better than others. Attachments are the before and after pics.

Tailwinds, John

Offline keithmisegades

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 03:29:20 pm »
Hey John!

That’s great news!  Well, sort of.

Really glad that you got it back despite the issues.  Co-Motion should be able to help you as well.

Keith Misegades

Offline froze

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2022, 06:29:14 pm »
While that is great news, the better news is you got a new bike from the insurance company.  The indifferent news is that 100 percent of the time they will want the old bike, it is now their bike when they paid for your new bike; but so what? You got a new bike, take it and be happy.  If you want the old bike, you can ask the claims rep how much they will charge you to buy it from them, all they're going to do with the bike is to scrap it, so they could make more money than scrap value by selling it back to you.

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2022, 07:27:34 pm »
While that is great news, the better news is you got a new bike from the insurance company.  The indifferent news is that 100 percent of the time they will want the old bike, it is now their bike when they paid for your new bike; but so what? You got a new bike, take it and be happy.  If you want the old bike, you can ask the claims rep how much they will charge you to buy it from them, all they're going to do with the bike is to scrap it, so they could make more money than scrap value by selling it back to you.
That is good to know.  Thanks, John

Offline Pat Lamb

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2022, 04:45:44 pm »
Supposedly horse thieves were hanged in the old west because they kept a man from being able to work without his horse.  There's some debate on whether or not a bike thief deserves the same punishment.  But taking off with your Frogs?  Hang 'em high!

FWIW, if your insurance company wants to keep the bike, you might ask if they'll sell the remnants to you.  You might score a scratched up and poorly frame for $200 or so.

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 09:23:34 pm »
I know what you mean.  To get replacement new old stock titanium Frogs is around $600 a set.  They "only" paid around $200.  I am having to switch to regular SPD but I doubt I will like them as I have tried them a few times without much enjoyment. 

I will probably offer $100-200 total for the bike. 

Tailwinds, John

Offline froze

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 11:21:05 pm »
I don't think insurance companies will take an offer; they will probably offer you a set price as a take or leave it proposition.

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2022, 12:58:48 pm »
Looks like I probably lost the bike again then.  Oh well.   

Offline froze

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2022, 02:48:49 pm »
Did you ask the insurance company if you could buy the bike back?  I assume you did, and the answer was no?   If so, that's  strange, because they will sell cars that were totaled to the original owner for scrap value.

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 04:48:38 pm »
I have not but I will.  If they ask for more than a couple of hundred, I will pass as it will probably be close to a $1000 to fix up and I already have a better bike.  I mean scrap for a car is usually only around $500 for an older car (who knows what it is now with this rampant inflation) so more than $200 for a bike is a bit high. 

I'll let everyone know the outcome.  John

Offline froze

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 09:13:20 pm »
The idea would be not to fix it up, just strip the parts off, if the price is right to do so of course.

Offline Northkaibab

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 08:32:58 am »
Hi, John - I'm new to this forum (but not to Adventure Cycling) and by coincidence, your is the first post I read. I was sorry to learn about the theft of your Co-Mo, and it appears you've now replaced that bike and moved on. However - just in case - I wanted to mention that I own a gently used 2018 Co-Mo Divide with belt drive, a Rohloff rear hub, a generator front hub and Jones loop handlebars. Sizing is roughly the equivalent of a "medium" frame.

Age and chronic injuries are nudging strongly me toward e-bikes, so I'm looking for a good home for the Divide - someone who will appreciate it and ride it often. This post is just a "heads up" - there's about a 70% chance my oldest son will accept the Divide as a gift. I'll know that by mid-November. If he does not want it, I'll probably offer the Divide for sale - at a very reasonable price - on this forum and a few other places where folks will recognize the Co-Mo name and quality.

Mike

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2022, 09:45:40 am »
North, welcome to the ACA Forums! 

Yes, I have another Americano but this time with a Pinion.  That is a generous offer to sell your great bike at a good price.  Hopefully, your son takes the gift and actually uses it and gets into touring like his old man!  People frequently have good intentions that fail to occur for a variety of reasons.  That is why I always encourage people, especially newbies, to buy used.  It is a shame to buy a $5000 bike and have it sit in the garage for a few years unridden.  I have repeatedly bought very gently used bikes for 50% off the new price.  I am sure that if your son does not want it, it will sell here.

Keep participating in the forums and best wishes on your health.
Tailwinds, John