Author Topic: Official Eastern Express route in ACA!!!!  (Read 735 times)

Offline grncab97

Official Eastern Express route in ACA!!!!
« on: November 06, 2022, 09:39:22 pm »
I was just suggesting to a friend who wanted to ride TA but skip KY to do the Eastern Express and tried to send her a link but the website no longer exists.  So I looked at AC maps and there it was! So glad to see it as part of the AC maps.  Looking forward to the paper version since I am old school. When did this get included into AC maps and does anyone know if there is a timeline for the paper version?

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
Re: Official Eastern Express route in ACA!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 11:29:54 pm »
Good. I only hope they cleaned up a few of the areas that could be better, i.e. near Terra Haute so it goes through the covered bridges area.

I am glad the route did not go by the wayside when the original creator decided to let it go. 

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 10:19:30 am »
Frank Moritz ended up leading our unsupported Northern Tier Tour from Red Wing, MN to Booneville, NY.  Great guy.

Offline staehpj1

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 10:39:53 am »
I was just suggesting to a friend who wanted to ride TA but skip KY to do the Eastern Express and tried to send her a link but the website no longer exists.  So I looked at AC maps and there it was! So glad to see it as part of the AC maps.  Looking forward to the paper version since I am old school. When did this get included into AC maps and does anyone know if there is a timeline for the paper version?
Great news about them having the EE available.  My bet is that there probably won't be a paper version.  I hope I am wrong.  I love AC paper maps, but suspect we will see fewer and fewer of them with even the existing routes getting phased out in paper.

I plan to do the TA for the 50th anniversary of Bikecentennial and since I will be 75, depending on how well I age between now and then a shorter easier option may be attractive even though I'd like to do something as close to Bikecentennial as possible.  I did the TA in 2007 and remember what a challenge the Ozarks and Appalachians were.  At 75 I am sure it won't be any easier so realistically I am staying open to the possibility of using the EE.  I also have not ruled out having sag support despite my general distain for it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:15:52 pm by staehpj1 »

Offline CMajernik

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 10:44:28 am »
At the present time, ACA is not planning to make paper/print maps for this route due to other strategic priorities. It takes a lot more time to produce the print maps as compared to producing the digital data for a route.
Carla Majernik
Routes and Mapping Program Director

Adventure Cycling Association
Inspiring people of all ages to travel by bicycle.
800/755-2453, 406/721-1776 x218, 406/721-8754 fax
www.adventurecycling.org

Follow Routes & Mapping on Twitter: @acaroutes