Author Topic: Delmarva- Looking for a loop route in Md-Delaware  (Read 4208 times)

Offline OHRider

Delmarva- Looking for a loop route in Md-Delaware
« on: June 23, 2023, 05:09:06 pm »
I'm looking for a loop route in Md-Delaware using part of the Delmarva Adventure Touring routes (map from AT is on order).  We are planning to start in Stephensville since we have friends that we can leave the car with.  Would like to go down to St. Michaels, then work our way to the Atlantic Ocean around Rehobeth Beach and Lewes Delaware.  From there, back to the car.  If anyone has some route suggestions please let me know. Will do a combination of camping, hotel, and staying at friends houses.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline BikeliciousBabe

Re: Delmarva- Looking for a loop route in Md-Delaware
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 08:07:51 am »
I have touted this place before, but try not to skip Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes. Even if you don't spend the night there (The campground is extremely popular, especially on weekends. A reservation is essential. I made my Easter weekend reservations in December.  The campground was nearly totally booked by then.) You can get to the park from Rehoboth almost entirely on trails and streets with bike lanes. Dolphins and even sometimes whales are visible from the beach.

Here is one way into the heart of the park:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/43434156

If you stay there, get a copy of the great bicycle map the park hands out. It covers more than just the park.

Offline OHRider

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 09:28:48 am »
Thanks- we've been working on the route and tentatively we are thinking:
Day 1: Stevensville (just on the east side of the bay bridge- friend lives there)- Denton
Day 2: Denton- Delaware Seashore SP- two nights there
Day 3: Ride south, see seacoast down towards Ocean City
Day 4: Leave campground- ride to Lewes via Cape Henlopen (thanks for the route), take ferry over to Cape May and back, overnight in Lewes at hotel
Day 5: Ride to Harrington DE- hotel
Day 6: Finish in Stevensville
We are going to ride to the beach on a Thursday and Friday to miss the worst of the traffic, and return mid the next week for the same reason.

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 08:24:39 am »
Are you familiar Delaware Beach SP? I drove by it on the way to and from a friend's place in S. Bethany.  Looks bleak and full of RVs.  I think the park's website notes that there is no shade.

Also, I forgot to mention the section of the trail in Cape Henlopen that goes through the tidal pond area is unpaved, but it's flat and pretty smooth.  Heading north, it turns into a neat "boardwalk" of sorts.

The ferry ride is fun, and the staff have always been friendly.  Try to stay towards the front of the boat. It's not rare for a school of dolphins to swim straight towards the front of the boat and dive under at the last minute.  During my sailing last year there was a whale hanging out near an anchored freighter.  The captain diverted course for a while so we could get a closer look.

Offline OHRider

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 08:48:11 am »
Thanks again for the help. 

You're right about the Delaware Seashore park- no shade. We found another option so we've got some shade. 

Really looking forward to seeing both the Cape's.

We are doing a warm-up "ferry" trip this weekend.  Doing an overnight on the bikes to Kelley's Island SP in Ohio.  Very little riding involved but it's a cool little island. We've done the same in the past to South Bass Island which is a few miles away.  Sometimes you don't have to do big islands to have a good overnight bike trip!  PS We've done multi-day trips in the past but both have had some physical issues so we're getting back into bike touring with no big mountains to climb!

Offline BikeliciousBabe

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 08:37:44 am »
My first three tours back in 1999-2000 were big ones, including on across the U.S. plus for nearly 4 months.  Then I hung up my touring shoes for 8 years partly because, thanks to my history, doing short trips was not on my radar screen. Since then, I have done a lot of them after I realized that you don't need to go away for a long time to enjoy bike touring.

I recently suffered my own health scare and am only alive because an observant next door neighbor noticed some things out of order and was able to gain access to my house thanks to the fact that my other next door neighbor had the combination to my key lock box because she had done some cat sitting for me during long weekend bike trips. They found me unconscious on my kitchen floor at 7:30 p.m. New Year's Eve. Sepsis had infected my heart, requiring the replacement of my mitral valve and part of my ascending aorta. Spent a month in the hospital (unconscious and on a respirator for the first four days of that) and two months in a rehab facility. I didn't walk or really stand up on my own for over two months.  Haven't been on a bike yet.  Might give it a try this weekend.

Offline OHRider

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 10:39:58 am »
Really sorry to hear about your health issues.  My wife and I have also faced several health issues over the past few years.  For me, it's been two knee replacements, one this year and one last year.  We are doing some small trips this year to see what we can do.  I have some bucket list trips so maybe I'll be able to get back into it.  The Delmarva trip we are planning is a good start- pretty flat and can do a mix of hotel and camping.

We just did a S24O the other day- not much biking but a beautiful trip to Kelley's Island in Lake Erie, off the Ohio shore.  Had a nice campsite right on the water and were able to see the entire (small) island.  Good tune up for finding our gear again and fitting it on our panniers.