Poll

What are the 5 most important services (to you) that should be shown on a map?

Cafe/Restaurant/Fast Food
Grocery Store
Convenience Store
"Dollar" Store
Bar
Farmer's Market
Walmart-type store
Bicycle shop
Outdoor/Camping Store
Pharmacy
Hospital
Health Clinic/Urgent Care
Dentist
Wire Internet (use someone else's computer
Wireless internet (use your computer)
Campground (allows tents) (may or may not include shower)
Showers
Indoor Lodging (hotel, WarmShowers, motel, Tipi, AirBnb, etc.)
Emergency Services (Police, Fire, EMT)
Post Office
Entertainment (movie, bowling, putt putt, etc.)
Bank/ATM
Forest Service (or other) office
Historical Point of Interest (POI)
Scenic POI
Cultural POI (Museum, local, etc)
Recreational POI (canoe/raft, hiking, waterfall, etc.)
Airport
Train Station
Bus Station (interstate)
Car Rental Agency
Other (list in comments below)
Laundry

Voting closes: May 17, 2024, 08:15:09 pm

Author Topic: POLL: What services are most important to you on a map?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline staehpj1

Re: POLL: What services are most important to you on a map?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 09:11:34 am »
Pete,
I am thinking of the more "established" Farmers Markets, i.e. the one's that are held every saturday April thru Sept at X location.  Granted, these are usually in medium to larger towns (which I tend to avoid if possible).
I think I actually have managed to hit one of those because it was on the map, but it seems that I am likely to go by them the wrong days if at all.

That said, I LOVE the roadside stands but as you noted, hard to research of course. Again, where does one  draw the line.
They do range from big and well established to little and impromptu.  I recall one outside Riggins ID that I think mught have been on the AC map (not sure).  It was great!  lots of variety of fruits and stuff like venison and elk jerky.  In a way the location was unfortunate though.  We wound up buying and hauling extra produce over Whitebird Hill.  We wanted to have Idaho potatoes while we were there so we bought some.  I can't imagine a much stupider purchase than potatoes to haul over a tough climb like that in scorching heat.

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
  • I ride for smiles, not miles.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 11:32:32 am »
We wound up buying and hauling extra produce over Whitebird Hill.  We wanted to have Idaho potatoes while we were there so we bought some.  I can't imagine a much stupider purchase than potatoes to haul over a tough climb like that in scorching heat.
I got a chuckle out of that. I was touring in Louisiana with a few buddies years ago.  In a lot of places, a piece of paper is basically hillier than Louisiana except for bridges.  After a long hot day, we stopped for groceries and I thought a watermelon sounded great to eat in camp so I bought a cold 10# melon and promptly hit the "hilly area" of Louisiana it seemed.  They weren't big hills but with that extra 10#, they became noticeable and the others of course were making fun of me until I threatened not to share it with them. 

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2024, 11:36:35 pm »
Westinghouse, I think you may have meant to post your last post in the "Stealth Camping? Sleep Site!" thread.

Offline mattdwyerva

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2024, 08:17:21 pm »
John,

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into maps.  I am amazed at your persistent energy, and grateful for all the terrific maps. 

Matt

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2024, 09:09:16 pm »
Matt, just to clarify, I  am not associated with ACA other than being a regular member like you.  However, I have created routes for probably 20 years that are usually short routes, i.e. 15-100 miles, that connect to other short routes. Think about the little spider web lines in a cracked car windshield.  I get on average about 2-3 requests a week for route assistance but only help maybe 3 out of 10 because they think I do printed maps like ACA when I mainly just do GPS routes and written cue sheets. Anyway, ACA should get the credit for making great maps.  Tailwinds, John

Offline mattdwyerva

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2024, 09:25:44 pm »
Anyway, ACA should get the credit for making great maps.  Tailwinds, John

Good to keep that straight, thanks

Offline donald.stewart.92

POLL: What services are most important to you on a map?
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2024, 09:04:55 pm »
I would like to see a separate box with just campsites/lodging. I want to be able to calculate my daily mileage by this.
  I have the Delmarva map and quickly locating campsites in the mixed boxes is time consuming. On the left side of the campsite/ lodging should be the milepost and then the distance off the route.
  ACA has a huge space dedicated to the history/geography that should be on a separate page. When I cut up the map I should have map on one side and have separate boxes labeled for lodging,services, emergency, etc on the other side. Quick and easy scan to find what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline John Nettles

• World Traveler
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2024, 09:53:53 pm »
I too like an easy way to calculate the distance between X & Y.  I typically do a "Services Summary" which is basically a mileage sheet showing the leg miles, total miles (for that route), and the services offered at that leg.  If you start the day mid-route, you still have to do a little math but not bad.  I personally am not a history buff usually so I don't include much history unless REALLY pertinent to the route. I figure Google can do a much better job than me with stuff like that.

Tailwinds, John