Author Topic: PLEASE HELP  (Read 12684 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Patrice

« on: January 07, 2004, 11:18:30 am »
Hello everyone

I was wondering if someone could please help me find out some infomation. I am planning my Tour of the US leaving England in just under 10 weeks. I have sorted out my visa etc but there is one thing left which I need to sort insurance. I have tried sorting this out in England but because I will be away for 6 months no British insurance companies will cover me for such an extended period outside of England. Does anyone know of the names of any American insurance firms who would insure me for a tour of of the States? Please help!

Offline jnorth

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 11:06:49 pm »
the last thing you want to do is get involved with the american (non)system. doesn't your coverage have a foreign plan?? my only suggestion for US insurance is "blue cross catastrophic" insurance. this is for accidents and any hospital fees relating to accidents. not cheap! other countries are much more cicilized about this sort of thing.

Offline dano

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 12:36:15 am »
Bike insurance?Never heard of it.

Offline DaveB

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 02:29:58 am »
It's not clear what you want to insure. Do you want health and accident insurance to cover you if you are injured or get sick?  Or do you want insurance to cover theft or damage to your bicycle?

Offline driftlessregion

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 02:58:55 am »
A Google search of "trip insurance" brought up several sites that will either sell and/or compare types of insurance. If you own a car or have homeowner's insurance check with your insurance companies for coverage of the bike itself.

Offline iSolo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 03:44:58 pm »
Patrice look for "Backpackers" insurance. They usually have
policies that cover from 1 to 18 months world wide and some
include "Adventure Travel".  Last time I was in England I
remember seeing a few local magazines at the Kings Cross
Youth Hostel that advertised insurance for Backpackers and
Adventure travelers.

You might also want to check out Lonely Planets web site,
they might have more  travelers insurance info there.

Offline girdwoodak

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 01:28:44 am »
If you get hurt while on the road, make sure you tell the abulance driver to take you to a public hospital. they never turn anyone away regardless of insurance and you can even get the bill wavered if you're broke. Good luck!

Offline larry

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 01:56:28 pm »
   when i went to venezuela i used cyclecover through
   the ctc was covered for everything  would have to
   join ctc, cost can be for single trip or multi
   worldwide....... hope this helps good luck on your
   trip ...

This message was edited by larry on 5-22-04 @ 9:59 AM