Author Topic: getting there  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Dan_E_Boye

getting there
« on: November 26, 2005, 12:32:23 pm »
I'm looking into options for getting me and my bike to Yorktown next year.  I thought it might not be a bad idea to rent a small van and just drive myself and my bike there, but I find that most companies will not do one way rentals on small vans.  Has anyone else done it this way?  Is it just cheaper to ship the bike and fly?  Any other creative ideas for transporting bikes and riders to the start destination?

Offline DaveB

getting there
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 01:12:15 pm »
Do you really need a van to transport your bike?  Removing one or both wheels will allow most bikes to easily fit into a car trunk, particularly if the rear seat back folds down, and most do.

Renting a small or mid-size car one-way is relatively easy and the gas cost will be a lot less than with a van.

Offline Peaks

getting there
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 04:38:01 pm »
I think that most of us rely on public transportation to get ourselves to the start of a tour.  

For bikes, shipping it UPS ground is usually the way to go.  I'm sure that the Trans Am map has a list of bike shops in the tidewater area where you can ship your bike to.  Just give the bike shop a call in advance so they know to expect your package, and to hold it for you.

Lucky13

getting there
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 07:51:54 am »
I've used the one-way rental option in the past and it worked out quite well...a low rate with no drop-off charge. The bike and gear fit easily in the trunk and back seat.

I do have an advantage, though. Living in South Florida, there's an abundance of rental cars just waiting to head north in the spring.

You may also want to look into the various auto-delivery concerns. They could be looking for drivers to deliver one of their vehicles.

Offline Dan_E_Boye

getting there
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 07:25:22 pm »
My bike is a Burley Canto recumbent and it's too long to fit in the trunk of a car.  I also have a trailer and gear to contend with.  I might just decide to go west to east since I live in Eugene, OR and figure out the shipping on the return phase.  

Lucky13

getting there
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 11:38:42 pm »
>>My bike is a Burley Canto recumbent>>

Hmm...I bought a Canto earlier this year. I've yet to tour with it but 2006
may change that. Are you using the Nomad trailer?

My upright also hails from Eugene...a Bike Friday. Come to think of it,
much of my touring gear originates from Oregon...both bikes, my
Beckman panniers, Terracycle pannier rack, Burley rain gear...

Offline Dan_E_Boye

getting there
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 08:00:42 pm »
Yes I am using a Nomad.  I've only done one week long tour with the bike so far, until summer 2006! :)  I did a loop from Eugene to Crater Lake and back via Sisters.  The bike did fine on that one.  Since then I changed the chain rings so I have a 24 tooth granny gear up front.  Now I can get up hills I couldn't get up before.  I like it a lot.  I have Burley rain gear too.