Author Topic: Finally, a new bike.  (Read 5730 times)

Offline RoadWimp

Finally, a new bike.
« on: May 12, 2006, 10:50:33 pm »
Good evening, my fellow cycling addicts. I bear grim news - my faithful steed (a Bianchi Premio that is probably older then I am) has taken ill. The prognosis is, tragically, terminal.

She served me well, but one cannot afford to remain mired in endless grief forever, so I've decided to replace her. Do you fine people have any suggestions for a good racing bike in the 6 to 8 hundred dollar range?

I was pondering going with the Specialized Allez Triple that my local shop sells for $590. http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12390. I had never heard of the Specialized brand before, so I was wondering what y'all thought of it?

Alternatively, I was considering remaining loyal to the Bianchi marque by selecting the Bianchi Brava. http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_brava.html

Do you think either of these are good choices? Or if not, do you have any suggestions for a worthy replacement for my once-glorious charger? Your aid in my time of sorrow is much appreciated.

Offline Badger

Finally, a new bike.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 12:00:13 am »
I have an allez comp.  Cro molly frame and carbon fork and seat post.  Specialized makes some good bikes.  I have ridden this on several centuries and find it very comfortable. It is a triple and shift very good.  I can't tell you about the Bianchi but I know quite a few people who have them and like them very much. Hope this helps.  Jim

tofubicycle

Finally, a new bike.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 10:35:06 pm »
RoadWimp,

I work at a Specialized dealer. Generally speaking, I am not a fan of many of the major bicycle manufacturers. However, and I'm not just playing salesperson here, Specialized has a good reputation and, IMHO, the deserve it.

The Allez is a good bike and if the price you've been quoted is not for an older model or a scratch and dent bike, it's a very nice price. (A 2006 model would cost you $710 before tax at my shop in Washington DC and is Specialized's MSRP)

The real question is: Is the Allez a good bike for the type of riding you'll primarily be doing?

-How often and how far do you ride?
-Will you be commuting on the bike?
-Will you be riding two, three or four seasons a year?
-Will you be doing loaded touring?
-Do you have a preference between aluminium and steel?

The contemporary Allez has an alluminum frame with braze-ons for a rear rack, a carbon fiber fork and seat post, Sora STI levers, a Sora FD and a Tiagra RD.

The next step up, the Allez Sport, also available in a triple, has the same aluminum frame, carbon post and fork, and rack braze-ons but comes with the upgrade of Tiagra STI levers, Tiagra FD, a 105 RD, a slightly stronger wheel set and few other items. There is also a jump in price but the higher grade component set may last you longer, and serve you better, on the long haul.

Personally, I do not recommend the Brava, and have been increasingly disappointed by Binachi over the years, particularly in the area of quailiy control. Having said that, if you are interested in options from Bianchi, check out the Volpe. Again, there is a price increase from the Brava but there is also a significant quality increase within the component spec as well as this bike simply being better suited for touring abve and beyond straight road riding.

As always I'll mention that there's no substitute for a visit to the nearest LBS, a talk with a good sales person who will give you the time you deserve, and some test riding.  

--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
i'd rather be biking.

Offline RoadWimp

Finally, a new bike.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:40:59 pm »
Well, I plan to commute to and from school (a thirty mile round trip) and to ride centuries on weekends. And I'll need it in every season. Now as for the question of steel versus aluminum - I have no idea. Surely aluminum is better? Is there a difference besides weight?
Oh, and if it matters I'm about 125 pounds.

Thanks for your help and I'm sorry I've been so long in answering this. I'm right in the middle of those lovely New England floods you might have heard about. :)

tofubicycle

Finally, a new bike.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 01:23:33 am »
Th

--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
i'd rather be biking.

Offline RoadWimp

Finally, a new bike.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:31:34 pm »
Well, I've finally gotten my new baby. A Specialized Allez Elite with an all-aluminum frame, ultegra shifters, ultegra brakes, even a nice squishy seat. She's a dream come true - I didn't know what I was missing when I just had my Bianchi. It's so good that I can't imagine buying a more expensive bike - I just can't see how it could be better.  :)

Thank you all for your help.