Author Topic: Foot rubbing with T2000  (Read 3282 times)

Offline bishop

Foot rubbing with T2000
« on: August 18, 2006, 01:47:20 pm »
Hi everyone:

I recently bought a new Cannondale T2000 and my right foot rubs the crank.  I have size 48 shoes and this also happened with my mt. bike but that shoe was able to clear enough with the clip adjusted/maxed all the way to the side on the bottom.  Should I get a new crank?  Different shoes?   I bought these "knee savers" devices that the shop encouraged and put them on both sides of the crank to extend each pedal laterally.  This keeps the right shoe from rubbing now but I'm wondering if I should've only done it on the side that rubbed.  My left knee feels a bit wierd now with it on that pedal.  Anyone else have any similar problems?  Any advice?

Offline wanderingwheel

Foot rubbing with T2000
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:29:25 pm »
There's absolutely nothing that says the bike must be symmetric.  If the knee savers feel good on the right but not on the left, then try only the right side.  At times I have twisted my saddle away from centerline, set my handlebars up with one side longer than the other, and/or independently positioned my brake levers on the bars.  As long as it works it's not wrong.

A possible, but very expensive, solution is to find a new set of cranks that is "low profile."  This means that the spider is flat and the arms splay out to the pedal holes.  However most modern cranks incorporate a low profile design so finding a better one might take some searching.  

Most often, crank rubbing is not really a problem.  You will not seriously damage the crank and as long as it doesn't interfere with your pedalling motion, it can be ignored.

Sean

Offline bishop

Foot rubbing with T2000
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 11:09:22 am »
Thanks Sean for the helpful feedback.  When I returned to the bike shop to get the 'knee savers' installed on my crank for some reason they wouldn't work with my existing pedals.  So they sold me new (better and more exspensive I was told) pedals.  What they didn't do is see if I still needed the 'knee savers' now that I had different pedals.  Guess what?!!  I got home and took them off and no longer had any rubbing issues!!  Thank God I'm not COMPLETELY DEPENDENT on the shop!  Appreciate your thoughful response.