Author Topic: Transam rt or Northern tier ?  (Read 5874 times)

Offline fredlonas

Transam rt or Northern tier ?
« on: August 12, 2007, 04:11:12 pm »
I'm doing my first cross country ride in 2009, family reunion in 08, and would like to get some feed back as to which route to take and why. This will be a solo, self supported ride by a fit almost 69ner at time of ride. I want to start dreaming know and also start gather some info for route I pick.
Thanks for your ideas, suggestions and advise.
Fred

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:42:02 pm »
Excellent query Fred.

I have traveled a lot of the US, and a bit of it by bicycle. I am unequivocal in stating that the tour I took last year was the best bike tour in North America.

I did the Northern Tier, except that I diverted from that route to include the North Lakes Sect 1, 2, part of 3, and part of the Lake Erie Connector.

Here is a thought to ponder: 3 months is a long time to travel solo. Think about joining the ACA Expedition along the Northern Tier. I did that, and for me, it was an excellent decision.

I can give you some more details if you have an interest.

Paul
Paul

Offline JimF

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:48:30 pm »
Fred: You also may want to consider a "Companions Wanted" ad in ACA. I did this two years in a row for the TransAm. It turned out great. Once you decide on your route and time, you can set your requirements (camping, lodging, cooking, et al.)and seek advice. Flexibility and independence were my two primary criteria. Good luck and have fun.

Offline fredlonas

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 02:46:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply's I've gotten so far. I'm going on a 2 week solo ride in NH,Quebec and Maine so will continue research when I get back.
Thanks, Fred

Offline Peaks

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:40:25 pm »
Northern Tier is the less traveled route.  TransAm was the first, and probably the most popular ACA route for cross country.  

Part of your decision is what area do you want to see along the way, and where to start and finish.  

I guess we chose Northern Tier because mid-America didn't sound too appealing in July.  Also, New York and New England is familar territory for us.  

Offline fredlonas

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 02:54:48 pm »
Hello again, it's Fred Lonas, and I have decided to do the Northier Tier rt. in 09 at 69 yr's of age before I reach my senior year's.
I'll be leaving my home in No. Va. and follow the C&O Canal and the Allengheny Passage trail to Pittsburg then pickup the new rt that AC is putting together, I think it's the Western rt. at Pa. DOT. has on it's web site and as Paul did follow sec. 1,2, and 3 of No. Lakes rt. and maybe the Erie Lake rt. I'm starting to gather info., ideas or suggestion now but will wait untill 08 to get maps. I want to go through Missoula, Mt. and pick up the L&C rt. and follow the Columbia River to Portland and then to Astoria Or.
The excitment level is running high so planning now keeps it under control. I've started a file so bring on the suggestions. I will be going solo or maybe one other person, we'll see.
Thanks for your help.
Fred

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 08:09:03 pm »
Well done Fred. For me, and it sounds like you, planning is a big part of the fun.

Paul
Paul

Offline roadrunner

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 12:42:30 am »
Hi Fred,

I rode the C&O Canal Trail and GAP to Pittsburgh last fall as part of a Chesapeke Bay to Mississippi River tour -- they are great trails.  If you'll be looking to avoid riding through Pittsburgh, the Montour Rail Trail runs from near the end of the GAP, through suburbs south and west of the city, and ends at the airport. There is a website for the Montour Trail.

We rode the Panhandle Trail west from the Montour Trail to Weirton, WV, then took roads across Ohio.  Going north from Pittsburgh to flatter terrain could be a better route -- the first couple of days in eastern Ohio west of Pittsburgh were very hilly.

Have a good time planning -- I find it half the fun of doing a ride.