Author Topic: MY OWN FRANCE TOUR  (Read 5575 times)

Offline dudley123

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« on: October 24, 2007, 04:52:15 pm »
HELLO fello bikers  make that cycles
 I am just started planing oops make that dreaming of this trip lol  ( dreaming is the word from the woman looking over my right sholder )
 Starting in NYC fly to London cycle to the ferry to Calais in France then cycle down the west coast of France with a big stop in Normandy , then to Bordeaux ahh yes for some fine wine then take the canal across  France to the Mediterranean I have heard tell that the the young girls go topless bathing there he he he . then take a train back to Paris put on my YELLO T shirt so she can take a picture on this fool crossing the finsh line.  This will  be a camp out and camp in  toure with the beautfull woman that just poked me again in the back ( with out her i would be lost )Ok would like to know if anyone has done this and any and all info of France that you have

Offline raddybaby

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 08:12:36 pm »
I did a 2 week tour (April 2005) with my brother of the Pryrennes (Andorra, Spain and France). I love to climb but it also a mecca for cyclists...great views, roads and some classic cols to bag. We did drop down into the south of France for a change of pace (read rest of the legs!) as well.

We didn{t book anything and always found a good place to stay for about US$70 a night (total).

Gor for it & cheers,
Neal

This message was edited by raddybaby on 10-24-07 @ 4:13 PM

Offline brad

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 10:23:33 am »
hey, i've cycle toured quite extensively in france and most of europe. i lived there for four years. i have a lot of resources and helpful websites i can share if you want.

the one thing i would definitely recommend picking up is the "cycle france" guide. very good and well detailed.

hit me up on email at jason.b.nicholson@us.army.mil

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener

Offline dudley123

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:11:55 pm »
Thanks for respondind jason i tryed to use your e mail but it did not work

Offline brad

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 11:24:24 pm »
hey, for some reason it didn't post up correctly:

jason.b.nicholson@us.army.mil

i look forward to your email!

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener

Offline brad

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:02:17 am »
dudley, give me your email as well i'll get in touch with you. for some reason this place is not hyper linking correctly to my email address.

jason.b.nicholson@us.army.mil

Offline dudley123

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:09 am »
Thanks  Jason
  my e mail  whitewatertom@optonline.net

Offline leo

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 03:59:05 am »
Hi from France

Have a look at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/CyclingInFrance

I put all the information I could think of there.

happy days

léo

Offline leo

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 04:38:02 am »
Another thing... you'll have trouble riding the canal from Bordeaux to the Mediterranean. Some of the way there's a good path; some of the way there's nothing more than a narrow mud or gravel strip; parts of the way there is nothing at all.

I know web sites say it can be done but believe me, I live not that far from the canal and I tried to ride it this summer. I abandoned it.

léo

Offline kenwil

MY OWN FRANCE TOUR
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 11:37:06 am »
Hi, I've cycled across France a couple of times and I'd recommend the following:
From the UK take the European Bike Express coach (see their web site) that takes bikes on a trailer down through western France stopping at all the popular starting points (£118 one way good value)Alight at Bordeaux and head east through to Bergerac, the Dordogne, across to the Parc du Volcans, D'Auvergne,Le Puy, Ardeche Gorge, Le Luberon, Grand Canyon  du Verdon, Route Napoleon down to Nice and the South of France. I promise you that you will be amazed, it's wonderful and as the trip progresses it just gets better and better. Let me know if you want to know more but that sort of sums it up...hope you do it and enjoy....