Author Topic: Bike Transporter  (Read 2436 times)

Offline suefearless

Bike Transporter
« on: June 07, 2008, 09:46:12 am »
In May 2009, I will be flying to the USA from England, bringing my bike with me, as I want to cycle the TransAmerican cycle route. I would like suggestions on what to do with my bike box whilst I am cycling across America.  I guess I could have it posted on to the finish, where it could be stored ready for my return flight to the UK. I understand this might be expensive though.  Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RussellSeaton

Bike Transporter
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:34:07 pm »
Cardboard bike box.  Not the hard shell reuse it kind of bike case you buy for hundreds of dollars.  On my loaded tours of Europe I used a cardboard bike box.  Get the first from the local bike shop.  Not sure how you tape it up now days since the government will open the box and make sure your bike is not a bomb.  With the plastic cases it is sort of easier for them to close it back up.  Not sure if they will let you retape the box or you can't touch it again and have to hope they even bother to tape the box back up.  Might want to inquire somewhere about this.  Many airlines sell carboard bike boxes at the airport.  Might want to call ahead to tha airport you will be flying back from and make sure some airline there has them in stock.  It can be any airline, not just the one you are flying on.

I use a non fancy touring bike.  So a bit of rough treatment at the airport does not concern me.  If you have a multi multi thousands of dollars touring bike painted custom colors and such, then I'd suggest leaving it at home and getting a more basic touring bike that you aren't too concerned about.

Offline suefearless

Bike Transporter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:43:25 pm »
Hi RussellSeaton - thanks for the info and advice. It is very much appreciated, and is of great help.