Author Topic: bob trailers  (Read 9650 times)

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:24:38 pm »
im planning on doing a lot of biking in the future i i need a way to carry all my gear. i prefer a trailer over panniers and have done a lot of searches on the net and i plan to be on road and off road so i would need a one wheel trailer. ive got my eyes fixed on the bob yak and bob ibex.. has any of you ever used these trailers and are they worth the purchase?

ROBERT JENKINS

Offline JimF

bob trailers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 11:29:55 am »
Robert:
I use the Bob Ibex. I used it for the TransAm, and use it regularly for groceries and other. I found it very effective for the crossing. There are plenty of pro's and con's for trailers and panniers, as you've probably seen. I haven't used it on MTB trails yet. If you buy one, it's important to train with it loaded, especially on steep descents. Good luck.

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »
thanks for your post jim. any imformation is helpfull.

ROBERT JENKINS

Offline paddleboy17

bob trailers
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:05:38 pm »
I did 1000 miles or so of touring on a Bob trailer before I gave mine away.  I am not a big fan of Bob trailers, but if you can accept their limitations, then it may be the ticket for you.  

The attachment mechanism has backlash in it.  This is feature that you will notice off road.  When you lean the bike to one side, there will be some delay before it follows.  This is neither good nor bad, it is just a property of the Bob.

The attachment mechanism may create a lever in which the trailer can come in contact with the rear derailleur and bend the rear drive side lug. It is not a problem on all bikes, just some bikes.  You may do fine if you are aware that it is a problem to manage.  It is definitely a problem if you take the bike off-road and have obstacles to ride over.  You must detach the trailer to carry the bike over obstacles.

Another rider and I have sparred over the bounciness of Bob trailers.  I think they are prone to bounce, he will tell you that they do not bounce if the tires are properly inflated.  I don't agree with him, and he does not agree with me.  I also believe that the trailer is not good at dampening a bounce once it gets airborne.    I had a scary experience on a highway shoulder going around road kill because I got the trailer bouncing.  It could be argued that may I should have seen the road kill sooner and taken a gentler evasive action.  All I know is that I had to struggle to keep control of the bike.  Immediately after that, my partner and changed our route to a less traveled road where we would not have to ride on the shoulder.

I gave my Bob trailer to a friend and he road the continental divide in Colorado without incident.  He was very happy with the trailer.

I don't think you will find anything better at the price that the Bob trailers sell for.  

Two of my buddies tried to design a trailer that had no backlash and not bounce.  Their design featured a 26" mountain bike front tire. It tracked beautifully, with no backlash or bounce.  They applied and were granted a patent, but took it no further as it would not have been cheap to build commercially.

Danno
Danno

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 02:26:44 pm »
thanks for your post. i have seen in other forums ppl talk about the bounce in the bob trailers and have read a few threads today about ppl having incidents whith the bob fishtailing while going downhill at certain speeds. i think overall if you keep your speed minimized and watch out for potholes and other bumps these issues can be resolved. i think this is just one of those things ill have to test myself and see what i think. if i dont like the trailer then i can just sell it.

ROBERT JENKINS

Offline ColoradoKid

bob trailers
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:47:29 pm »
Have you considered some other type of trailers? We've used Burley's Nomad for on-road tours and love it! It is doubled the size of the Bob with out all the problems the Bobs have. It doesn't stick out on the road that bad and is prefered by by many tandem riders 2 to 1. :)

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:17:27 pm »
yes ive been looking at other trailers to at biketrailershop.com .. ive been debating between the bob and the burley nomad. the burley nomad is bigger but can it handle off road use? and the canvas on the burley nomad is what supports your gear due to there not being much of a frame underneath, how long do you think the canvas will last? the only reason ive been looking at other trailers is because recently while searching the net, ive read a lot of threads about the bob and it seems the cotter pin which secures your trailer, can come out and when that happens it puts stress on the pieces that hook to your bike and can sometimes cause them to bend where you cant put another pin in. another thing ive been seeing a lot of is ppl complaining about the bearings in the bob wheel going out. seems to be a common thing. have you ever used the burley nomad off road and does it tip or "roll over" as easily as ppl say it does or does it take more than a small bump to turn it over when its loaded? seems to me that a good load would stabalize it more and make it harder to tip.. but as of your question, yes im considering the burley nomad!

ROBERT JENKINS

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:41:58 pm »
also on the bob trailers,, are they for quick release only or can they hook to a regular nutted axle?

ROBERT JENKINS

Offline JimF

bob trailers
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 12:28:08 pm »
Bob:
You can attach the Bob to a "nutted axel" using their "Bob Nutz."
I'd like to add that the pin used to attach the Bob to the bike is extremely unlikely to fall out; see their web site for its geometry. I've used it extensively over the past few years, unattaching many, many times and never had one of the two pins come out unintentionally. On trips I always take a couple of spare pins in case I lose one; hasn't happened. In an emergency, some thin wire or a safety pin could probably substitute until something better could be rigged, if one were to be lost and no spare.
Others commented on "bouncing." I've had to ride on some pretty rough roads, including a long stretch with rumble strips. Not fun, but the trailer behaved better than my bike.
As to other designs, I can only speak to one rider I rode with who used a two-wheeler with, IMO, poor structural support for the load. He had some major mechanical problems with the design, as well. In addition, he had to ride farther out from the side of the road due to the dual wheel design. He had a number of instances where the inner wheel would drop off the hardtop, which caused some concerns.

Hope this helps with your decision.

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 01:18:58 pm »
thanks for your post jim. i think im going to go for the bob because i intend to be off road and on tight trails some times  and i just cant see a 2 wheeld trailer going there. as far as the pins, ive checked them out online and it looks like it would take a lot for one of the pins to come out. and also, i could always tie the pins to the frame of the bob and that would secure them even more. as for the bearings going out in the wheel, ill just replace the stock wheel with a more durable one, i dont like aluminum rims anyway, they bend to easy.

now on my next question,, should i get the bob yak or go for the bob ibex? ive read that the ibex tends to bounce more. have you used both of these trailers and which one do you think would be the best choice?

ROBERT JENKINS

This message was edited by bobbirob22 on 8-8-08 @ 9:21 AM

Offline JimF

bob trailers
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 10:17:21 am »
Robert:
For trail touring, I believe the Ibex is your choice. As to "bouncing," I've never sensed it while pulling the unit. The stiffness of the suspension is adjustable, too. In fact, I rarely sense the trailer while riding. Of course, depending on the load, there is more work in climbing.

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 05:49:34 pm »
thanks for the post jim. the ibex would be better because it has the spring and seems to me the spring would dampen the bounce not cause more bounce. seeing as ill be riding the grassy ares beside the road more than on the blacktop itself due to lack of sidewalks and bike paths, i will experience a more rougher ride so i think the ibex is the way to go. think im going to buy that burley  nomad to for around town errands and to haul bigger stuff but use the bob on my camping trips and other long rides! thanks for all your post, it helped make my decision a lot easier.  the burley nomad and the bob ibex is what im getting!!

ROBERT JENKINS

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 03:55:44 pm »
ive been reading a lot of threads on other forums where ppl complain that the bearings in the bob wear out rather quick.  how far have you pulled the bob and have you ever had problems with the bearings???

ROBERT JENKINS

bobbirob22

bob trailers
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 11:48:27 am »
ive been doing a search for the burley trailers, seems the trailers are equipped with a thick rubber piece that connects the trailer to the bike and burley warns against using the trailer in below freezing because that rubber piece can break.. thats not good, i will definately be using the trailers in below freezing and both burley nomad and the flatbed have these rubber pieces in them. on the other hand the bob trailers can be used in any weather condition.  is there  an alternative connector that can replace the rubber piece on the burley?

ROBERT JENKINS

Offline yuvits

bob trailers
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 01:40:33 am »
Hi Robert, or anyone else who is interested:

I'll be taking a holiday in the U.S (i'm from out of the country) during October, and i'm planning on doing a 2 week bike tour. I need to carry quite a lot of equipment (for me and my girlfriend) so i wanted to buy Bob's Ibex trailer. I do not want to bring the trailer back home with me,
so if anyone is interested in buying a trailer that will be used for 2 weeks, please contact me: yuvits@gmail.com