Author Topic: Sana Anna River Bike Path and more  (Read 5015 times)

Offline MarkWF

Sana Anna River Bike Path and more
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:00:17 am »
Well folks a few weeks ago I checked in talking about my new bike and the bike paths around me. I live outside of Los Angeles in whats called the Inland Impire.. (East of LA) We have some nice urban bike paths that run through our area, along the Sana Anna River..  Runs by me from East to West.. Thirty mile ride to the beach from were I'm at. Twenty Miles to the San Bernardino  Mountains.
I've been riding the path both ways and have found I like the east towards the mountains best so far.. Why? I like solitude.. Going the other way you are moving toward civilization and what I call Zoo Land.. No offense to you city folks. ;-)

Going East hub in Norco starts here!

So far I'm riding twenty miles out to Waterman Ave in San Bernardino  Twenty miles back, twice a week..As well as a shorter trip or two mixed in if I have the time.  Not to bad for my first baby steps towards wanting to do a real touring ride some day..

I'm thinking of maybe taking the train up into Oregon maybe even further, and doing the ride down the coast.. Probably start out from San Luis Obispo area. Take the train from there up the coast and ride back down.. Just hatching the idea now.. Going to take me awhile to build up the courage and know that I'm in shape to really do something like this...God willing and the River don't rise. I'm hoping on a small ride from Morro Bay to Big Sir/Carmel area, some time in May of next year, to test my sea legs so to speak..

So many things to do in planning a trip like this.. First one is to get another bike that is built for touring...The bike I have now (Cyclecross bike.) isn't going to do it I don't think..

Still reading and hanging out in the wings.. Thanks for the replies to my last post. I'll be checking in from time to time as I work up the courage for my crazy ideas...

MarkWF

New to biking in a serious way!

This message was edited by MarkWF on 12-18-08 @ 4:58 PM
MarkWF

Offline whittierider

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:20:10 pm »
I understand there are still some discontinuities in the Santa Ana River trail, where you have to get off and ride the streets for a mile or two and then get back on.  Can you tell us what they are?  I haven't found anyone yet who can.  I have only ridden it from Riverdale park (approximately where the trail turns south, in Fullerton or so) to the beach.  I'd like to be able to ride it clear out to Riverside and beyond.

There are various places around L.A. and Orange Counties where you can get away from civilization.  We live between you and downtown L.A., and we can go into the hills, and, less than five miles from home, be where you can't see any sign of civilization in any direction except the paved road you're on.

I have a very detailed route slip I got from a club and developed further, telling how to ride from the Santa Barbara train station to the L.A. train station.  We've ridden it twice and can tell you it is a wonderful ride (except the end after you get into L.A.).  I don't see any way to Email to forum members or PM them to get an Email address.  Maybe I'll have to try to put it on my son's website.  It's a .doc file.  (Most people would call it a Word file, and it is indeed Microsoft-Word-compatible; but I don't use any Microsoft software.)

Offline MarkWF

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:59:27 pm »
If you'r coming East from LA the trail ends at Green River.(Were the Corona Fires started.) From there,  yes you have a break that picks up again in Norco.. You would have to hit the streets, cross Corona through the back streets. I know them well, but will take me some time to figure out how to map them over to you...

MarkWF

This message was edited by MarkWF on 11-27-08 @ 9:07 AM
MarkWF

Offline MarkWF

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:51 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving every one! Here ya Go.. Used Google maps to do the job...

This will get you from the end of the Hidden valley hub. Through Corona to link up with the rest of the route from Hidden Valley Wildlife Preserve

Rout Map through Corona streets..

MarkWF

MarkWF

Offline cara2u

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 01:09:13 am »

I'm the owner of santaanarivertrail.com website. The site is'nt completely finished yet but should be within 30 days. When I get the remaining bugs fixed I would be interested in your input on how I can improve it or not.
   My wife and I ride SART  alot and live a block away from the river at Mission Blvd..Drop me a note if you ever want to hook up for a ride. Quite often we will grab breakfast or lunch at Mimi's at Waterman.
james2u at charter dot net

Offline MarkWF

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:58:28 am »
Very Cool James..I started a Blog on a new blogging site trying to chronicle my adventures..

http://www.thoughts.com/MarkWF1/blog

Weather has me slowing down a little the last couple weeks.. Hate the cold..

I'll go check out your site now..

Have a great Holliday Season

MarkWF

This message was edited by MarkWF on 12-13-08 @ 4:01 AM
MarkWF

Offline bps3000

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 02:47:14 pm »
MarkWF - Thank you!

I've spent all morning looking for this route.  It felt like I was typing in endless Google searches.  Nothing on Mapmyride, Bikely, just nothing out there.  This Tuesday, Dec. 23rd, I was hoping to ride from Mission Viejo to the end of the SART.  Now it looks like I can.

Thanks Again.

Offline MarkWF

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 07:58:21 pm »
Not a problem.. That's what it's all about!

Let us know how you do.. ;)

MarkWF

MarkWF