Author Topic: TransAm--timing?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline MrBent

TransAm--timing?
« on: February 18, 2005, 04:42:41 pm »
Hi, Bikers:  Well, my wife and I have decided on the big one.  We won't be able to go until '07, so this is a very preliminary question.  I'm a teacher and will be able to take the fall semester off, so that means we have a huge window for the ride.  We really dislike the heat and crowds of high summer, so our plan would have us starting in very late summer or early fall.  Anyway, here's the general idea: We'd ride east to west, starting on the N. Tier, hook up with the Great Rivers, turn west on the S. Tier and follow that out to the end, San Diego.

We're thinking about starting in early September in Bar Harbor, just after Labor Day.  We are thinking about 50 mi/day, more on flat days.  So we'd probably hit the N.  end of the Great Rivers route in early Oct. and hit the bottom end early Nov.  From there, most of the route is desert, so we figure we'd be hitting it just about right, finishing sometime in mid/late Dec.

What do you think of this timing?  Should we start earlier?  Problems?  Insights?  Any input greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Scott

Offline RussellSeaton

TransAm--timing?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 10:42:10 pm »
I'm not sure where you would run into crowds in the summer during a cross country bike ride, but...  I live relatively close to the northern starting point of the great rivers route.  October would be an OK month for riding from IA to LA.  It can be cold and wet but nothing too terrible.  And it would not last for more than a few days usually.