Author Topic: Oregon Coast  (Read 5153 times)

Offline wyndhams

Oregon Coast
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:34:59 pm »
We are driving to the Oregon coast and wish to cycle daily portions of the coastal ride.  We prefer not to ride self contained and we do not wish to leave our car behind for more than one night.  From what we have read it is not advisable to travel south to north along this route.  Any suggestions for best day trips along the coast?  Alternatively, any other great areas in Oregon for this style of cycling? 

Offline scott.laughlin

Re: Oregon Coast
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:49:16 pm »
You can travel south to north.  You will most likely encounter more head wind and the shoulder is much narrower on the northbound lane.  You didn't mention where you planned to start and finish. 

If you're driving a car rather than a motorhome you might consider storing while you cycle south and then figure how to go back north after you've reached your southern most point.

There are other worthwhile routes of which you'll have to make local inquiry. 

North of reedsport a couple miles is Gardner.  There's a way to follow logging roads over the Coast Range to the Willamette Valley from there. 

There is a way from either the McKinzie Summit or Willamette Summit that will take you to Crater Lake.  The local bike shops in Eugene should be able to give you directions.

If you have good legs and go between June and September you might consider McKinzie Bridge to Sisters via McKinzie Pass. 

I don't know how any of that would work with a car.

Scott in Texas

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:28:38 pm »
I would go N to S, for sure.  The road seems almost to be designed for this.  My favorite part of the Oregon Coast is from Coos Bay south.  It feels more remote and the weather often better there.  If you can continue into N CAL, I think it just gets better and better, esp as you enter redwood country and the wild coast of HWY 1.
May the wind be at your back!

Offline MrBent

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:01:12 pm »
Ride very early in the day to avoid horrendous traffic on the coast.  Any day trips that take you off/away from the main highway will have more pleasant cycling.  Personally, I think the riding there is way over rated simply because of the traffic.  I've resolved never to go back, but many people seem to love it.  If you check the ACA maps and Oregon cycling maps, you'll see that traffic rates are in the many thousands of cars a  day on that road for the peak summer months.  Believe these figures and plan accordingly.

It's certainly beautiful, however, with great campsites and wonderful towns.

My 2 cents.

Scott

Offline johnsondasw

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:34:12 am »
On my trip in late June and early July, we did not experience horrendous traffic except in the SF Bay area on 4th of July weekend.  I found it to be pleasant with polite drivers the whole rest of the way.  However, we were hauling 2-wheeled trailers and may have received more respect due to the fact that motorists may have thought we had babies in them!
May the wind be at your back!

Offline cgarch

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:24:29 pm »
I would suggest these side routes that are off 101: 1) The three capes Scenic route (Cape Lookout to Pacific City); the side route between Neskowin and Lincoln City, and finally the Otter Creek Loop, above Newport. Also consider riding the Seven Devils south of North Bend / Coos Bay.