Author Topic: Bike Around America  (Read 4995 times)

Offline ojones

Bike Around America
« on: February 24, 2007, 03:39:10 pm »
A friend and me are planning to bike around America in the Summer 2008. We originally wanted to go through all 48 states, but now the task of finding a good, safe way through all of the states seems nearly impossible. If we cannot find a route for that we would do the northern tier, east coast, southern tier, and then the west coast.

Does anyone have any good Ideas for planning a route through all of the states or do you think we should just do those four routes?

Thanks,

Owen Jones

Offline litespeed

Bike Around America
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 12:49:27 am »
You really don't want to go north up the west coast. You will be fighting relentless headwinds. Better to go in the opposite direction. Get a copy of "Bicycling the Pacific Coast" by Tom Kirkendall and Vicky Spring.
Also, you might consider cutting down from the Northern Tier and going along US14 out west. This will route you through the Badlands SD, The Black Hills (Mt. Rushmore), the Big Horn Mts. and Yellowstone.
Also you might consider the ferry between Ludington MI and Manitowoc WI. A nice ride and avoids Chicago.
I also recommend the east coast detour along the Outer Banks, NC.

This message was edited by litespeed on 2-24-07 @ 8:53 PM

Offline rmtaugher

Bike Around America
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 04:37:59 pm »
We combined the Western Express, the Transamerica, the Great Rivers South, and the Southern Tier last summer.  That got us a lot of states, and got us through a lot of the South and the mid part of the country.  We are now doing the Atlantic Coast and the Pacific.  I'd suggest looking at all the ACA routes and seeing what you can combine, depending on what you like.  We got an incredible overview doing it the way we did it.  You can circle the perimeter and then do a combination of the center routes.  You'll have an incredible time!!

Offline Peaks

Bike Around America
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 06:04:46 pm »
For what it's worth, we biked several days with a fellow who was doing the perimeter of the US, using the 4 routes you mentioned.  He stated in Louisanna, went west, then up the coast, and across the Northern Tier.  He was planning on going south down the Atlantic Coast and then back to LA.

Offline MikeL

Bike Around America
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:59:58 pm »
I read a book by a guy who did this called Ten Thousand Miles of America. It doesn't have complete route info but you might be able to contact him to fill in some details.  He seemed to have been able to find routes all right.  

Here's a link:

http://www.thedairyair.com/10kofusa.html

The author is a fellow Wisconsinite, so he brings Wisconsin style to the trip.  Represent!

-Mike

Offline John Nettles

Bike Around America
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:53:25 pm »
I have done a 3/4 perimeter tour from San Diego to Vancouver to Maine to Key West.  I did this on a spur of the moment thing so started July 4th. I didn't reach Maine until mid-September and got a little snowed on but missed a major dumping by only a few days.  My trip was 9,000 miles and took 4 months with an overall daily average of 68 miles per day with an average of 78-85 (can't remember for sure) miles per riding day.

No matter which routes you take, I would recommend looking at when you do NOT want to be in a certain area at a certain time of year, i.e. northern west coast or Minnesota in January or Arizona in August, and determine your starting/ending point even if non-traditonal.

Reason I said this was that I was young and ignorant (now middle age and ignorant) about hurricanes and ended in Key West in early November.  It had not even entered my mind what I would do if I was in Florida and one was going to hit.  God was with me and kept my miserable rear from a hurricane but I learned a lesson as the day I left for home, a hurricane was annouced but it fizzled to a tropical storm.  Thus I learned an important lesson about mega-trips.

Out of curiousity, are you just leaving in the summer of 2008 and the time is open ended or are you only doing it in the summer of 2008.  If the latter, I don't think you could cover enough ground quick enough in just 90 days or so.  Another option is that you can do a mega route in stages and time/money permits.

Happy trails and may the wind be at your back!

TulsaJohn