Author Topic: Route from Missoula to Bozeman  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Robertc

Route from Missoula to Bozeman
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:54:40 am »
I'm planning a ride from Fernie to Bozeman this summer.  I will be following the route from Fernie to Missoula as described in the Great Parks North Section 2 but I don't know the best bike friendly route from Missoula to Bozeman. Any suggestions on the best route, roads to avoid, points of interest, etc?  If you know of any good sources of information for cycling from Missoula to Bozeman, that would be appreciated also. Thanks.

Offline litespeed

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:28:51 pm »
I did Bozeman - Missoula a few years ago while crossing the country. I left Bozeman and noodled along the road paralleling I90 to US287 and north to Helena. From Helena I rode US12 over MacDonald Pass and cut north on 141 and continued on 200 to Missoula.
I don't recall any problems. Serious wide open spaces and very little traffic.
All three of these cities have KOA's for camping.
US191 south to West Yellowstone is a bad bicycling road - narrow two lane highway with no shoulders. It hugs the river and has lots of impatient truck drivers.

Offline Robertc

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 12:05:20 am »
Thanks for the information.  Looks like a good route on the map.  Bozeman is my final destination (I've got family there) so I won't be heading any further south.  Thanks for the help.

Offline DGoodrich

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 06:52:48 pm »
Hi,

I found a very nice, if roundabout route from Missoula to Bozeman a few years back, in the summer of 2000. It was inspired by the fact that the place was burning, and I was trying to ride where the fires weren't.

Follow Route 200 out along the Blackfoot River, of "A River Runs Through It " fame.  Stop off in the bar in Potomac and have one of the local brews, Moose Drool.  Brush up against the side of the Bob Marshall Wilderness.  Stop off at Loonie's; you can tell by the giant metal dinosaur sculpture and the Harleys parked outside.  Pass through Lincoln.  Out of town, turn right and climb: Flesher Pass over the Divide. Sweet, tough and lonely.

Roll down into Helena.  Take the  I-15 south of town - it's okay for riding - but watch out for a nasty unmarked pass coming up on Boulder.  Be sure you have more than just a bottle and a half if it's a hot day. Turn off at Boulder and go south through the wild beautiful Boulder valley.  If you're lucky, the rancher will let you camp by his corral and you can listen to the coyotes.

Keep south and cross I-90, heading down to Norris.  Watch the rumble strips.  They tend to disappear on the hills, only to reappear at the bottom right about when you're doing 40.  At Norris, turn east to Bozeman.

It's been six years and I can remember each day vividly.  Good luck and enjoy.

Offline Robertc

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:20:13 pm »
Wow, sounds like a great route and definitely a memorable one.  I contacted Adventure Cycling about possible routes from Missoula to Bozeman and they suggested following the TransAmerica Bicycle Trail - Section 4, i.e., south on 93, east on 43 over Chief Joseph Pass, SE on 287 to Dillon, and then east through Ennis to Bozeman.  How would you compare this to the route you followed?  While I need to find a route that doesn't add significant time to the Missoula / Bozeman segment of the ride, I'll go out of the way for scenery and a safe road to ride on (low traffic, decent shoulder).  Your thoughts are much appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline DGoodrich

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:27:43 am »
I didn't go on the AC route you describe because the Bitteroot Valley was on fire that summer.  Hard on the paint job. It's supposed to be quite spectacular, and you follow much of the route of the Nez Perce in 1877.  Traffic should not be a problem on either route, and yours is probably shorter.  Can't go wrong either way.