Author Topic: Canadian Highway  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Bobbike

Canadian Highway
« on: May 23, 2007, 08:45:41 pm »
I'm planning on a bike trip around Lake Superior and would like to know if anyone has ridden the Canadian Highway regarding road Shoulders and safety in riding this road

Offline biker_james

Canadian Highway
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 09:17:29 am »
I've ridden the Cnadian side from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie last year. If you main concern is the road having shoulders, you won't like this trip. We found that in most places the shoulder is narrower than our loaded bikes are. In some place there are effectively no shoulders, but not for too long. Also, what shoulders there are have a lot of potholes, and more concerning to me, long wide cracks. I really liked thaplaces where they had painted lines over these cracks recently, making them hard to see.
It is a gorgeous trip though. In spite of the roads (they're not flat either, and we also had some issues with wind off the lake at places)we found it to be worthwhile. Incredible scenerey, and we met some great people along there too.
I think that you should be safe if you are careful when riding, and ensure that you make yourself visible so everyone has lots of time to see you and take appropriate action. We saw more semi's on the road than we did cars, but they were all pretty professional.