Author Topic: Solo Northwest to AK tour  (Read 3786 times)

Offline akdoula

Solo Northwest to AK tour
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:17:41 pm »
I'm planning a tour from the Pacific Northwest to Anchorage (possibly the reverse). I plan to go next Summer and hope to leave from Hood River, stop in North Idaho, then head to Anchorage, AK. I may be going solo, so I'm looking for suggestions about routes, camping, good stops/camping, solo issues, bear/moose issues and whether folks have had better luck with trailers or panniers. Thanks ahead of time for any help! In peace, Tapia

Offline windrath

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:43:14 pm »
Dear AKdoula -

If you follow the Alcan heading north, you are going with the traffic if you go in June, so you will hvae lots of RVs passing you by.  We came south and had almost no traffic on our side of the highway.

We did not encounter problems with bear and moose.  By mid or late June, the bears are heading to higher elevations to excape the misquitoes (or so the park rangers tell us).  We saw all of 6 bears (no grizzlies) and only 2 moose.

You should ahve generally favorable winds - believe it or not.  In fair weather, the winds blow from the south/southeast.

I was pulling a trailer on our ride while others had panniers.  We were split on which was better.  We encountered a number of riders with both, so if you are carrying alot of weight, that is an option to consider.

Get a copy of The Milepost to route your trip.  The book details every mile of the highways you will be on.

Good Luck - it is an excellent ride.

Paul Windrath

Offline akdoula

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:58:42 am »
Thanks for your advice! I was hoping to do the route North to South, but I have commitments in Oregon in May. The RV traffic is not very enticing, so I'm considering riding Portland to Portland until I can do the North-South route. If you have any suggestions for that route, they'd be more than welcome as well! Take care.