Author Topic: GPS Waypoint Renaming  (Read 8474 times)

Offline TomRaven

GPS Waypoint Renaming
« on: February 06, 2008, 09:04:05 pm »
I am new to the ACA GPS data but have managed to get it downloaded to my Garmin 60CSx.  Have figured out route reversing, etc., but cannot figure out how to change the names of the waypoints without spending ten minutes on each one.  So far I have maps downloaded to my 60CSx with meaningless 6 digit codes.  Is there an easy way to change those to geographic locations??  Appreciate any suggestions.  

FredHiltz

GPS Waypoint Renaming
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:49:45 am »
Hi Tom,

Yes, editing waypoint names in the GPSR is painful. It's much easier to do it on your computer before loading them into the receiver. If you have a graphical program that can read the ACA waypoint files, such as Garmin's MapSource, just double click and type a new name.

Graphical programs are expensive because of the map data that comes with them. Free text-based programs can read the waypoint files and present a table of waypoints that you can edit before loading the receiver. I use G7ToWin; there are several others. The comments in each waypoint, together with your paper maps, will help make new meaningful names.

Start by getting the GPS Data Users guide on the page where you downloaded the files. From the ACA home page, go to Routes & Maps, then GPS Information to find its link. It contains detailed instructions and tips about using both kinds of programs.

Let us know how it goes, please.

Fred

Offline TomRaven

GPS Waypoint Renaming
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:12:40 am »
Fred:  Thanks.  I did follow that procedure using the computer and did change a number of waypoint names.  Now when I completed naming them, I tried to transfer to the GPS 60Csx but cant get the routing lines to transfer.  The new route names appear but no route lines.  Suggestions?  

Offline ptaylor

GPS Waypoint Renaming
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:15:42 am »
Hi Tom.

The easiest way to rename your waypoints and/or routes is in MapSource (before you download them to your 60CSx).

[list=1]
  • Open the Way-points tab
  • Right click on a Way-point
  • Select Properties
  • Change the name to whatever (but keep it fairly short)
  • Click OK

One advantage of the ACA way-point names, is that they make it easier to keep them in order on the routes. When I use the ACA waypoints I only rename a few, like the places where I intend to camp at night.

You may want to read GPS Goes Coast To Coast, an article I wrote last year.

Paul
Paul

Offline ptaylor

GPS Waypoint Renaming
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:32:05 am »
Tom. It looks like Fred and I were typing at the same time. I assumed you got MapSource with your GPS bundle.

It sounds like you got the routes downloaded to your 60CSx OK, but are having a problem using them. Here's how it works on my Garmin 76C, which I suspect is similar to your unit.

I 'page' to the main menu, and select 'routes'. Here I see a list of all my routes. I select the route I want, then select 'Navigate', whereupon it calculates and shows the roads to follow.

Paul
Paul

Offline TomRaven

GPS Waypoint Renaming
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:41:04 pm »
Paul and Fred:  Thanks for the help.  I have been doing what you both suggest but was having problems getting my map data on the 60Csx.  I have discovered that my waypoints are full on the 60 and that is most likely contributing to my problem.  I have wiped them all off and will now see if my routing info is loading correctly.  Hope so.  thanks for your help. I will let you know if I have further problems.  

Offline TomRaven

GPS Waypoint Renaming
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:37:16 pm »
I think I finally figured this thing out.  I'm going to make notes on how to do this so I dont go thru this again.  Thanks for your help guys.