Author Topic: GPS in Europe  (Read 8330 times)

Offline BertieWooster

GPS in Europe
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:22:37 pm »
I'm soon to embark on a month-long tour through Europe. I'm
considering a GPS, if I can find one that fits the needs of a touring
cyclist. I'd like to use it as a map, as well as for data storage of the trip.
I will not be travelling with a laptop.

Looked at the Garmin 605/705, but charging could be an issue (I'll be
camping). I have a Forerunner 305, but charging/memory will be an
issue, and it's not the best for using as a map.

Any suggestions on what GPS/mapping programs would work the best?
Has anyone downloaded bike route maps from Bikely.com or any other
sources?

Thanks in advance for an advice.

FredHiltz

GPS in Europe
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:17:18 am »
Hi Bertie,

The mapping hand-held units that run on AA cells ought to do very well. Garmin sells automatic-routing maps for Europe that fit their Etrex Vista and GPSMap 60CSx models. The latter offers unlimited storage of your tracks on Micro SD cards. Magellan has a competing line, but I am not familiar with their maps.

You can preview pieces of the European maps at http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/.

Jeeves, for Fred Hiltz

Offline sjp5107

Re: GPS in Europe
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:45:35 pm »
Fred is correct Bertie.

Just recently went to France with my 60CSx with the europe city navigator NT maps loaded on the micro SD card. It was very useful. Some of the cities are very confusing and the signs are also. This saved us many headaches. I recommend it with full confidence that it will serve you well.

Steve

Offline gferry

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:05:33 pm »
I've used three different flavours of eTrex with Garmin's MapSource European Metro Guide (v6) in Italia.  With a very little effort, I found some great routes.  The software works with the 60csx and Oregon Series, I don't know about others. 

I really like the antenna of the 60csx, but the size is a bit much.  The Vista Hcx has a good antenna and a good size.  The Oregon Series appears to be the same as the Vista Hcx with a slick interface, heart rate monitor interface and wireless to other Oregon series.

Offline mm22176

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:14:54 am »
 BERLIN -- Exasperated European officials say U.S. pressure appears to have torpedoed a $3 billion project to build a European version of the U.S. global positioning system, which uses signals from orbiting satellites to track geographical position within 36 meters.

The proposed system, dubbed Galileo, was intended to give Europeans more autonomy, both industrially and militarily. That's no small concern, since the United States can selectively block access to GPS, as it has during the military campaign in Afghanistan.

Also, European plans to develop a rapid-reaction military force will become much more credible with their own GPS in military operations.

But U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz sent a letter to all 15 European Union defense ministers last month, urging them to influence their governments not to proceed with Galileo. That deferred any decision on the project, and now looks to have brought its momentum to a halt.

"Galileo is almost dead," Gilles Gantelet, spokesman for Loyola de Palacio, the European commissioner in charge of the project, said
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:29:36 pm by FredHiltz »