Author Topic: bike shops is LA?  (Read 4094 times)

Offline jasonjason

bike shops is LA?
« on: February 07, 2006, 05:14:01 pm »
Hi. I'm brrrand new to everything bikes. My friend did a cross-country bike trip last summer, and it sounded like the best thing ever, so I want to go on one with her this summer. But I need to learn everything and train hard. Does anyone knows friendly bike shops in Los Angeles where I can go and ask a million questions about biking and gear? Thanks. - Jason

Offline wanderingwheel

bike shops is LA?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 05:49:28 pm »
Some of these may not be local to you, but here are a few suggestions.  For general cycling, Helens is pretty good.  Unfortunately, I have yet to visit a shop anywhere in Southern California that really knows what they are talking about when it comes to touring.  However, I did notice that Hollywood Pro Bicycles is about the only one that carries touring brands such as Ortlieb and Arkel, so they may be a good bet.  Don't forget about REI, either.  They usually have a fair selection of touring goods and may even have a knowledgable employee.

I'm a little south of you in Orange County, let me know if I can help in any way.

Sean

cyclesafe

bike shops is LA?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 06:11:07 pm »
Same comments for San Diego county.  If you are lucky, the salesperson will admit he/she knows nothing and will not try to push something that is unsuitable for touring.  I learned from reading books specific to touring, surfing sites like this, and by actually getting out on the road.

Offline OmahaNeb

bike shops is LA?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 10:46:46 am »
I have included two article URLs about sizing a bike for touring.  I don't know if the authors are correct, but I have noticed that over the years, that bike sales individuals, are trying to push smaller sized bikes.

www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_framesize.html

www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Offline rsampera

bike shops is LA?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 01:10:48 pm »
Hollywood Pro Bicycles is great. I have been living in LA for 8 years and have left too mnay shops disappointed with there knowledge base and service. Hollywood Pro Bicycles has been great. The owner tours and loves cycling. He has really good advise when he knows the subject and if not doesn't BS you.
Great selection of racks and panniers.