Author Topic: Koga Miyata bikes  (Read 8035 times)

Offline natheless

Koga Miyata bikes
« on: March 18, 2006, 05:03:49 pm »
I'm interested in purchasing a Koga Miyata bike and am wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with them?

I am most interested in getting some feedback on their lightrunner and lightspeed models.

They aren't widely available in the USA at the moment.

(I did test ride one of their comfort bikes - and the workmanship and ride impressed me, but I'm not in the market for a comfort bike, I'm looking for a light touring bike.)

Offline velofellow

Koga Miyata bikes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 02:29:36 pm »
Koga Mitaya has also just started distributing again in the UK, where I
live. I saw a bunch of their bikes at a cycle show in London last year,
and they've just started turning up in shops.

I'm not sure how they're priced in the States, but in the UK, they're
much more expensive than perfectly reasonable alternatives. The most
appealing ones from my point of view seem to be their utilitarian city
bikes and top end, luxurious tourers.

For value for money, I think you might get more from a US brand like
Breezer or Trek. Their bikes are beautiful and well made, though, and
I'm the first one to admit that these purchases aren't always entirely
rational!

This message was edited by velofellow on 4-1-06 @ 11:36 AM

tofubicycle

Koga Miyata bikes
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 09:47:18 pm »

They aren't widely available in the USA at the moment.

I work at a shop that is currently a Koga dealer. As you may already be aware, Koga currently has no distribution in the United States. Koga USA, the former US division, was disolved several months ago. A memo sent to US dealers from Koga judiciously cites matters "financial" in nature as the reason for the halt in US distribution. Without going into details I can tell you that the death of Koga USA was not planned nor are there any current plans to restablish the division. In the same memo, Koga assured it's US dealers that they would strive to work with us from overseas in customer service and warranty related issues but we do not expect new Koga Miyata bicycles to be entering the United States through current US dealers.

In response to your actual question, I think Koga touring bikes are great bikes but aren't for everyone. Personally I am not a fan of aluminum tubing on touring bikes and am not a fan of many of the stock components. I can not overstate that these however are personal preferences.

--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
i'd rather be biking.

Offline kogawt2008

Koga Miyata bikes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:39:39 pm »
go to www.downtheroad.org Tim and Cindie have lots of experience wtih Koga Miata bikes because they're on them right now tourig around the world so I'm sure you could get plenty of info from them.